Cheesy baked spaghetti and meatballs is the ultimate comfort food. It’s a hearty, no boil pasta bake of spaghetti topped with meatballs and gooey cheese that all cooks up in the oven. It’s a one-pot meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
You are going to love the simplicity of making this cheesy baked spaghetti and meatballs recipe. No pasta boiling, no frying up meatballs. It all goes in the casserole or baking dish in layers and then baked. It’s a delicious and satisfying meal that the entire family will love.
Why This Recipe Works
If you’re looking for a delicious, hearty dinner option that won’t take long to make, then this cheesy baked spaghetti and meatballs recipe is exactly what you need. It’s super easy to make – requiring pantry staples, a few minutes of prep, and one baking dish.
It’s an easy twist on classic spaghetti and meatballs. And because there’s no boiling required, it’s a snap to prepare, ready to eat in no time!
- Easy and quick to make.
- No pasta boiling, no meatball frying, everything goes in the baking dish.
- Family-friendly, and affordable.
- And, because it is so versatile, you can easily customize it to your family’s taste with different cheeses, herbs, and sauces!
Cheesy baked spaghetti and meatballs is also a perfect potluck casserole to take to gatherings.
Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need for this no boil pasta bake recipe. For all the details, scroll down to the printable recipe card.
To Make The Meatballs
- Bread crumbs. You can also use crushed crackers.
- Egg. The egg acts as a binder.
- Parmesan cheese. The cheese adds a savory flavor to the meatballs.
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Dry onion soup mix makes this meatball recipe so fast and easy.
- Ground beef.
For The Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
- Spaghetti. Just about any dry pasta will work but you may need to adjust the baking time.
- Olive oil.
- Marinara sauce. Make your own, or purchase a jar of good quality Marinara or pasta sauce.
- Chicken broth. Since the dry pasta cooks in the oven, you need to add extra liquid for the pasta to absorb. You can add water, but chicken broth or tomato sauce adds more flavor.
- Cheese. Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella add a rich flavor. You can substitute with other types of cheese as well.
- Worcestershire sauce. This gives the baked spaghetti a depth of flavor.
- Seasoning and herbs: Garlic powder, Italian seasoning blend, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh basil.
Here is a brief overview of this no boil meatball pasta bake, but make sure you scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
Mix the Meatballs
With just 20 minutes of prep time and less than an hour in the oven, you’ll have a dish worthy of any Italian restaurant that your whole family will love.
You can use precooked frozen meatballs, but if you make homemade meatballs, they will add more flavor to the meal. The meatballs will bake right on top of the spaghetti and infuse their juices into the dish.
- Combine the ground beef with the seasonings and breadcrumbs then form small meatballs. Set them aside while you prepare the rest of the dish.
Assemble the Baked Spaghetti
- Spread the dry pasta into the baking dish and drizzle olive oil over the top. Pour the marinara sauce and chicken broth over the noodles.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Use tongs to lift the pasta and toss the mixture until well combined. Make sure the sauce completely coats the pasta and gets to the bottom of the dish.
Cover and Bake
- Arrange the meatballs on top of the pasta. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake.
Halfway through the baking time, remove the aluminum foil and wiggle the tongs between the meatballs and scrape the bottom and sides of the dish. Twist the tongs a bit to make sure the sauce falls between and under the pasta.
- Return the meatball pasta bake to the oven and cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top the dish with Mozzarella cheese and bake until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle chopped basil over the top and serve.
After removing your casserole of cheesy baked spaghetti, uncover it and let it rest for about 15 minutes to set up more. Serve with your favorite Italian pasta dinner sides.
This cheesy baked spaghetti recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you need something easy that the whole family can dig into.
With its delightful blend of ingredients, unbeatable flavor profile, and easy assembly process – this spaghetti meatball casserole is guaranteed to become an instant success. Serve warm with a tossed green salad and Texas toast garlic bread for an easy dinner your family’s sure to savor. Here are some more serving suggestions.
- no knead focaccia
- Dutch oven rosemary bread
- Caprese salad
- fried goat cheese salad
- asparagus with curry sauce
- roasted romanesco
? Tips for Success
- If you don’t have time to make your own meatballs, you can use frozen meatballs or make this a meatless baked pasta dish.
- Use a good quality pasta sauce, or make homemade marinara or spaghetti sauce. We have a red wine pasta sauce, a garlic basil marinara sauce, and a simple San Marzano sauce that work great with this recipe.
- Use a cookie scoop to shape the meatballs quickly.
- Stir the pasta gently so you don’t break the meatballs. Wiggle the tongs between the meatballs and twist them around to mix the spaghetti.
- If you use angel hair pasta, reduce the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes and cook until the pasta is al dente.
- If you prefer the pasta softer than al dente, add 1/4 cup more chicken broth and cook the casserole dish for 10 more minutes.
✅ Substitutions and Variations
- Change things up with different variations of meatballs. Here are some ideas
- Use different types of pasta, such as farfalle, fettuccine, or penne.
- Try this recipe with Alfredo sauce, pesto sauce, or Romesco sauce for a totally different flavor.
More Pasta Recipes
If you feel like you’ve eaten the same old plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce too many times, why not try something new? Here are some more pasta recipes to try.
- fried spaghetti
- crab pasta
- tuna pasta casserole
- lobster pasta
- crockpot goulash
- buffalo chicken pasta
- Bucatini alla Carbonara
⏲ Storage and Reheating
Allow leftovers to cool completely before storing. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
You can reheat this meatball pasta bake in the oven at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes. To prevent the casserole from drying out, cover it with foil and add a splash of water or chicken broth before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use any type of pasta you like. However, I recommend using a long, thin pasta, such as spaghetti or fettuccine, so that it can soak up all of the sauce easily.
Yes, absolutely! You can easily switch it up and use a different type of cheese to suit your taste preference. Some other great options include cheddar, ricotta cheese, asiago cheese, gruyere cheese, and provolone cheese.
This cheesy baked spaghetti casserole is a hearty and filling dinner. To make it a complete meal, all you need is a side salad and some crusty bread.
Our baked spaghetti and meatball casserole is bursting with flavor from the juicy meatballs, stretchy cheese, and savory marinara sauce. Plus, cleanup doesn’t get easier since everything cooks together in a single dish!
⭐️ Helpful Tools
Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
? More Recipes You Will Love:
Preparing a delicious and filling meal like crockpot goulash is simple and hassle-free with a slow cooker. The flavors marry together as the dish simmers all day. Serve a little gem Caesar salad on the side.
Try out this easy One Pot Chicken Orzo recipe for a fast weeknight dinner. Chicken, orzo pasta, flavorful sun-dried tomatoes, and kale come together for a delicious dinner. Serve it with a classic wedge salad.
Our Bucatini alla Carbonara is a simple yet delicious recipe that’s made with just a few ingredients. It is an easy-to-make and comforting dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Serve it with our arugula and burrata salad.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the Meatballs
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ package onion soup mix
- 1 pound lean ground beef
For the Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
- 16 ounces dry spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (24 ounce) jar of marinara sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- 1-½ cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
Mix the Meatballs (or use frozen meatballs)
- Add the breadcrumbs, egg, and chicken broth to a large bowl and let the breadcrumbs soak for a few minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan and onion soup mix then add the ground beef and mix gently until well combined.
- Form the mixture into 15 to 18 meatballs (about 1-½ inches big). Set the meatballs aside.
Assemble the Baked Spaghetti
- Spread the dry pasta into the baking dish and drizzle olive oil over the top. Pour the marinara sauce and chicken broth over the noodles. Add the Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Use tongs to lift the pasta and toss the mixture until well combined. Make sure the sauce completely coats the pasta and gets to the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Arrange the meatballs on top of the pasta. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake, covered for 35 minutes then remove the aluminum foil and give everything a good stir. Wiggle the tongs between the meatballs and scrape the bottom and sides of the dish. Twist the tongs a bit to make sure the sauce falls between and under the pasta.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top the dish with Mozzarella cheese and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle chopped basil over the top and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 796mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.