This tri tip sandwich is a delicious option for a quick lunch or dinner. It’s a great way to use leftover tri tip but you may want to grill one just for this sandwich. The chipotle aioli gives the sandwich a spicy kick and perfectly complements the other ingredients.
A tri tip is a perfect roast for a steak sandwich. It is a nice thick cut of beef that can be sliced thinly into tender, juicy strips of beef that will make several sandwiches.
An Epic Sandwich
This tri-tip sandwich is a hearty and filling meal. You will get enough beef from the tri tip to pile strips of beef a mile high. Grab a bun and load it up with all the fixings.
- Ready to serve in just 20 minutes
- The grilled onions and peppers taste amazing with the beef and make this sandwich a full meal.
- The homemade chipotle aioli can be adjusted depending on how spicy you like your food
- It’s perfect for picky eaters, as you can add or remove ingredients to fit their needs
Tri Tip Sandwich Ingredients
To make tri tip sandwiches, you will need the following ingredients:
For the chipotle aioli:
- Garlic cloves
- Chipotle peppers – choose to add as few or as many as you like
- White vinegar
- Onion powder
For the grilled onions and peppers:
- Olive oil
- Bell peppers
For assembling the sandwiches:
- Large hoagie rolls
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Grilled Tri-Tip steak
How to Make a Tri Tip Sandwich
- Cook the tri tip. Try this recipe for Santa Maria tri tip or this one for a slow cooker tri tip.
- Make the chipotle aioli
- Grill the onions and peppers
- Slice the cheese
- Assemble the sandwich
Top Tips for recipe success
- To enjoy tender slices of meat, cut across the grain of your tri tip steak.
- Add between one and three chipotle peppers to suit you and your family’s spice tolerance. Remember, you can always add in more later on, so start with just one.
- Instead of using a broiler, you can toast your hoagie rolls by laying them flat on a grill.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is tri tip steak?
Tri tip steak is the bottom tip of the sirloin and received its name from its triangular shape. It is packed with flavor, and it’s lower in fat than other cuts of beef, making it the perfect addition to a sandwich.
Can I cook the tri tip steak ahead of time?
To save you time on busy days, cook your tri tip steak up to two days in advance. While many people like a well-done steak, we recommend slightly undercooking it if you are preparing it in advance, as it may cook a little more when reheated.
To reheat your steak, put it in the oven for ten to fifteen minutes, and allow it to rest before slicing and adding it to your sandwich. You can also slice the steak and then grill the slices on a skillet.
Can I add anything else to my tri tip sandwiches?
Some of the following links are affiliates. If you click on these links and purchase something, we may receive a small commission. You don’t pay any extra but it will help us keep the lights on.
- A cast iron skillet or another large saute pan to cook the onions and peppers.
- A sharp knife to cut perfect strips of steak.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- This hot meatloaf sandwich is the reason we make meatloaf. It is perfect for lunch or dinner.
- This pulled pork sandwich is perfect for your next family gathering. Make the pulled pork in advance and set out all the fixings for everyone to assemble the sandwiches.
- These grilled lamb sandwiches are a great way to add something a little different to our next cookout.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the chipotle aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 3 chipotle peppers (depending on how hot you want it)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the grilled onions and peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
Assemble the sandwiches
- 4 large hoagie rolls
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 grilled Tri-Tip steak
For the chipotle aioli
- Place the mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl.
- Chop the chipotle peppers and garlic together until they are finely minced and add them to the mayonnaise.
- Stir in the vinegar, molasses, onion powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Set the aioli aside.
Grill the onions and peppers
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown. Season with salt and pepper
- Assemble the sandwiches
- Toast the hoagie rolls under a broiler or lay them flat on a grill until lightly browned.
- Slice the tri-tip steak into thin slices. Cut across the grain to get tender slices of meat.
- Spread the chipotle aioli onto the toasted buns then pile the onion and pepper mixture on one side. Top the onions with two slices of cheese then a heap of sliced tri-tip.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1097Total Fat: 85gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 47gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 1125mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 57g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.