Have you ever tried a hot meatloaf sandwich? It is, hands-down, the best thing you’ll ever do with leftover meatloaf! Or, who says you need leftover meatloaf really? I’m all about making an entire meatloaf specifically for the purpose of enjoying it in this meatloaf sandwich. And I won’t stop at dinner, either. This one’s a hearty sandwich you can have at any meal, breakfast included. 😉
meatloaf sandwich: best served hot!
Now for a very important question- do you like your meatloaf sandwich hot or cold? I find that both are pretty tasty, but this meatloaf sandwich recipe is made to be enjoyed hot.
The meatloaf is served on ciabatta buns with marinara, mozzarella (or provolone) and finished off with slices of fresh basil. It’s all heated together in the oven which results in a deliciously toasted hot sandwich, complete with gooey, melted cheese and lots of Italian-inspired flavor! It’s best served hot, but if you’re the type who enjoys cold leftovers, you do you. 😉
how to make it
First things first, you’ll need some meatloaf. We have a few different meatloaf recipes on Savor the Best, including this onion soup meatloaf recipe, a pork and beef meatloaf, and (our most recent!) this Instant Pot meatloaf. Any of these will do, so take your pick!
Here’s everything you need for this five-ingredient recipe:
- ciabatta buns
- marinara sauce
- grated mozzarella or provolone cheese
- leftover meatloaf
- fresh basil, sliced into strips
This hot meatloaf sandwich takes just a few minutes to assemble, and a few more minutes to get it toasted just right! Here’s the process (check out the full recipe at the bottom of the page):
- Toast the ciabatta buns- Preheat the oven to 450°F, split the ciabatta buns, and lay them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Toast 5-8 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
- Assemble the layers- Spread a thick layer of marinara sauce on top of the buns, place meatloaf on one side of each bun, then pile shredded cheese on top of the meatloaf. Toast in the oven for another 5-8 minutes or until the cheese gets all melted and gooey.
- Final touch- Remove from the oven and pile the sliced basil leaves on top of the melted cheese. Close the sandwich and enjoy while hot!
We know you’ll love this hot meatloaf sandwich- it’s hearty and full of meaty flavor, the best comfort food in sandwich form! Plus, it’s so simple to make and easy to customize based on what you have on hand.
If you have an Instant Pot, you can make our Instant Pot meatloaf in about half the time, which makes this meatloaf sandwich even easier to prep! We love simple and delicious meals made with leftovers, don’t you?
This meatloaf sandwich makes a pretty filling meal on its own but if you are feeding a crowd, you may want to serve some sides too. A good old fashioned potato salad or a crunchy Brussels sprouts salad are great options. Toss in some chips and dip for good measure.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- This Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is so creamy and delicious, and the Instant Pot does 95 percent of the work! Tender chicken, a rich cheese sauce and perfectly-cooked broccoli is a winner winner, chicken dinner.
- Our Smoked Salmon Quiche with Gluten-free Crust makes a beautiful and delicious breakfast, brunch, or even dinner! Smoky salmon, fresh dill, and salty capers work amazingly together in this rich and elegant quiche.
- Luscious and lemon-y, this Lemon Cake Roll is a decadent, summer-y dessert! A tender sponge cake rolled with lemon curd is a lemon lover’s dream!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 ciabatta buns
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 2 thick slices of leftover meatloaf
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil sliced into strips
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Split open the ciabatta buns and lay on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Spread the toasted buns with a thick layer of marinara sauce. Top one side of each bun with the meatloaf then pile shredded cheese over the tops.
- Return to the oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Pile the sliced basil leaves on top and close the sandwich.
- Enjoy while hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 1876mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 38g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.