Pea shoots seem to be the new kid on the block lately and I am checking in with a Pea Shoots and Chicken Sandwich. This sandwich was our lunch today but could just as easily be our dinner.
I put it together with grilled chicken, tomato, avocado and cheddar cheese between thick slices of multigrain bread. The pea shoots are crisp and crunchy and have a delicate flavor that balances nicely with the sweetness of the tomato and the creamy avocado.
There was a bin of cut pea shoots in the produce section of the market and they were about four or five inches long but they appeared a little wilted, I passed them by when I saw the price.
They were for sale by the pound, like $7.98 per pound. Just down the aisle by the salad greens I saw a package of fresh pea shoots growing in a small six-inch square container. I bought them at a cost of $3.50, put them on my kitchen counter in front of the window and watched them as they grew.
I have waited five or six days to make this pea shoots and chicken sandwich and it was worth the wait. I cut some of them off an inch above the soil and it looks like they are still growing so I will get another harvest from them.
Pea shoots are nutrient-dense with vitamin A, C, and protein. They have a delicate, crisp, nutty taste to them with a fresh-pea flavor and taste wonderful in this grilled chicken sandwich, the pea shoots are a nice change from lettuce.
You might also like these recipes:
- Roast chicken with freekeh stuffing
- Pea shoots and swiss cheese omelet
- Pea shoot, mint and carrot salad with creamy lemon vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 4 slices multigrain bread (or bread of choice)
- 4 to 6 ounces sliced of cooked chicken
- fresh pea sprouts
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces, thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- In a small dish, whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise and mustard together. Spread each slice of bread on one side with the dressing, there will be more than enough. Add slices of chicken on two slices of bread and then, a thick layer of pea sprouts. Add the tomato, avocado and cheddar slices. Place the remaining slices of bread on each sandwich and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 447 Total Fat 43g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 27g Cholesterol 88mg Sodium 800mg Carbohydrates 30g Fiber 12g Sugar 10g Protein 28g