This spicy crispy chicken sandwich recipe makes a delicious sandwich with a spicy sauce and medley of yummy ingredients that will rival your favorite fast food chains! A creamy, flavor-packed chipotle aioli brings the heat (if you haven’t tried this spicy pepper sauce, it’s one you’ll want to enjoy on everything!) and the crispy Panko chicken breast fillets are tender and juicy. This is how crispy chicken sandwiches are done!
Forget the chicken sandwich wars, homemade chicken sandwiches are where it’s at!
Spicy chicken sandwiches are a menu item in all fast food restaurants these days, but nothing beats the natural flavors and adaptability (let’s not forget the nutrition information) of one that you make yourself.
Why This Recipe Works
- Our chicken sandwich recipe is simple to prepare and the end result is so tasty.
- Chicken breasts get dipped in a buttermilk mixture, coated in Panko breadcrumbs, then fried in a skillet. They turn out moist and juicy with a crunchy outer layer.
- Pile on the spicy mayo sauce and build the rest of the sandwich, and you’ve got your own homemade version of McDonald’s spicy crispy chicken sandwich!
- It is the perfect mix of spicy, crispy and flavorful ingredients.
- The chicken gets cooked in a skillet (not fried), and it is a healthy chicken sandwich made with real ingredients (compared to the fast food versions).
Spicy crispy chicken sandwiches make the perfect lunchtime treat as well as a fun and easy family dinner.
Our homemade chipotle aioli is the “secret sauce” to making a spicy version of a crispy chicken sandwich. The bold and zesty flavor compliments the crispy chicken fillet and goes perfect with the pickled onions and pepper jack cheese.
For this spicy crispy chicken sandwich recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chipotle aioli
- Seasoning. Pepper and Cajun seasoning to add some heat and poultry seasoning for some savory flavor.
- Panko breadcrumbs, finely crushed. The Panko gives the coating an extra crisp texture.
- Chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- All the fixings. We used Pepper Jack cheese, lettuce and pickled onions.
How to Make a Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
This simple recipe is easy to follow, but for the full ingredient amounts and instructions, scroll to the bottom of the page to view our printable recipe card.
Keep in mind that one of the great things about this crispy chicken sandwich recipe is that you can adapt it however you like.
If you want to elevate your sandwich with a fluffy brioche bun, go ahead and use it! Want to swap pickled onions for a sliced red onion? Feel free. Need it even spicier? Add a little bit of your favorite hot sauce to the sammy.
While we’re sharing our favorite crispy chicken sandwich combination, you can certainly riff and make it your own.
Here’s a quick look at the process:
Make the chipotle aioli and set it aside. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create thinner pieces. Trim the slices so they’re just a little bit larger than the buns (this creates the perfect-sized chicken patty).
Whisk together the egg and seasonings in a shallow dish. Add the crushed breadcrumbs to another dish.
Dip the chicken breasts into the egg mixture, then place chicken in the breadcrumbs and press them onto the chicken so they stick.
Heat oil in a skillet and then cook each chicken piece, frying it in the hot oil for about 2-1/2 minutes per side. Add a slice of cheese to each piece after flipping it.
Assemble the sandwiches by spreading chipotle aioli on the buns, and add lettuce, chicken, and pickled onions.
Recipe Tips for the Best Results
- Before slicing the chicken fillets, place them in the freezer for a few minutes. They will be much easier to slice when partially frozen.
- Save any of the trimmed chicken slices in the freezer. You can add them to bone broth or chicken noodle soup!
- Crushing the Panko breadcrumbs really finely results in a tighter, crispier crumb coating. To crush them, you can place them in a mini food chopper. You can also put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- We love the spicy kick of Pepper Jack cheese, but you can use cheddar, Swiss or any good melting cheese if you’d like.
- Pickled onions make the perfect crisp and crunchy accompaniment for these crispy chicken sandwiches. Feel free to swap in dill pickle slices (thick-cut pickles and crinkle-cut pickles are also yummy and more closely resemble a fast food chain version).
More Sandwich Recipes
Sandwiches are a quick and easy way to make a delicious meal. Whether you’re looking for a hot and filling Reuben sandwich or something fast and easy like our chicken curry sandwich, we have a large selection.
- chicken blue cheese sandwich
- grinder sandwich
- spicy chicken sandwich
- Italian press sandwich
- hot meatloaf sandwich
- steak and lobster sandwich
- beef shawarma sandwich
- chicken bacon ranch sandwich
This spicy crispy chicken sandwich is better than eating out, and you can’t beat the price. A thick and creamy, chipotle and mayo-based sauce is the literal “secret sauce” for this recipe!
Plus, this healthier version is free of any unusual food additives and or preservatives, and it’s a delicious sandwich you can feel good about.
If you give it a try and love it as much as we do, feel free to leave a star rating and comment below!
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love:
Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwich is packed with flavor from fresh rosemary and garlic. Leftover chicken makes this easy sandwich recipe a breeze and the creamy, zesty dressing ties everything together.
This Tri-Tip Sandwich features layers of delicious grilled onion and bell peppers, tender tri-tip meat and the same homemade chipotle aioli in our crispy chicken sandwich. Every bite of this meaty sandwich is hearty and flavorful!
Panko Chicken Breast makes an easy and flavorful weeknight meal! They’re super simple to make. The chicken is coated in a Dijon batter and covered in a crispy Panko and Parmesan cheese mixture, then baked in the oven.
- Chipotle aioli
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs, finely crushed
- 1 pound chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Pickled onions
- Prepare the chipotle aioli and reserve.
- Break the egg into a shallow dish and whisk together with the poultry seasoning, Cajun seasoning, and pepper.
- Add the crushed Panko breadcrumbs to another shallow dish.
- Pat the chicken breasts with paper towels and slice each one in half horizontally. Trim the slices so they are a little larger than the buns.
- Dip chicken in the seasoned egg mixture, allow excess to drip off then place it into the dish of breadcrumbs. Spoon breadcrumbs over the top, pressing down so they adhere. Transfer to a parchment-lined plate or tray and continue until all four chicken pieces are breaded.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Place half of the chicken breast into the skillet and cook for 2-1/2 minutes. Flip the chicken over, add a slice of cheese to each piece and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm, and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Spread chipotle aioli on the bottom side of the buns, add lettuce and a chicken/cheese breast and pickled onions.
- Spread the top of the bun with a generous amount of aioli and add to the burger. Enjoy with chips and your favorite beverage!
- Set the chicken breasts into the freezer for few minutes and they will slice much easier.
- Do not discard the trimmed chicken slices and use them for another project.
- Crushing the Panko breadcrumbs will make a tighter, crisper crumb coating.
- To crush the breadcrumbs place them in a mini food chopper or in a plastic food bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Your favorite chicken seasonings may be substituted.
- I used Pepper Jack cheese but cheddar, Swiss or any good melting cheese can be substituted.
- Pickled onions are crisp and crunchy and a perfect accompaniment for these crispy chicken burgers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 763Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 1034mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 57g