Our Tri-tip Fajitas are always a good idea, and this one uses our slow cooker tri-tip recipe for the ultimate level of ease! We add a quick and easy marinade that boosts the flavor of the sautéed onions, bell peppers and shredded beef, then stuff it all into a warm flour tortilla. Dinner perfection? YES x 100!
These tri-tip fajitas are:
- simple to make
- a no-fuss dinner recipe that makes wonderful lunch leftovers
- the best combination of tender beef tri-tip with al dente onions and peppers
- a family favorite!
What is tri-tip?
Tri-tip is a specific cut of the beef that is flavor-packed, yet lean and low in fat. Because tri-tip is low in fat (and we all know fat = flavor!), a marinade or rub is typically used with this cut of meat to enhance its flavor.
One of the things we love about a tri-tip roast is it’s an incredibly affordable cut of meat that will easily feed a family! For more on tri-tip and to check out some other amazing tri-tip recipes, try these out:
The best thing about this recipe is you can make slow-cooker tri-tip specifically for these tri-tip fajitas, or you can use any leftover tri-tip to make this quick and easy dinner!
The trick to amazing tri-tip fajitas
This process all begins with a simple marinade that works in two ways: it adds a flavor boost (thanks to our delicious fajita seasoning), and also adds a bit of moisture into the shredded meat.
how do you tenderize fajita meat?
Have you ever had dry fajita meat? The trick to getting ultra tender fajita meat is all in the marinade! The combination of oil, spices, sugar and a little acid from the lime works together to infuse the tri-tip with yummy flavor and helps to break down and tenderize the meat.
First things first, let’s begin with our favorite seasoning blend!
Our go-to fajita seasoning
Our marinade uses a delicious combination of spices that you probably already have in your pantry! Here are the ingredients you need to make our go-to fajita seasoning, which is then mixed with oil, lime juice and fresh herbs to make the marinade.
- ground cumin
- brown sugar
In a jar, place the fajita seasoning spices along with freshly-squeezed lime juice, vegetable oil, garlic, chopped cilantro and a seeded and minced jalapeño. Put the lid on the jar and shake to combine.
how to make tri-tip fajitas
Now that the marinade is done, you’ll need just a few other ingredients to prep and assemble the most incredible tri-tip fajitas!
- shredded tri-tip roast (from our slow cooker tri-tip recipe)
- vegetable oil
- yellow onion, sliced
- red onion, sliced
- bell peppers (one of each color: red, yellow, and green)
- 10-inch flour tortillas
- lime wedges, salsa and sour cream
To make the fajita filling
This all comes together rather quickly, and it’s a super simple process:
- Cook the meat in the marinade. Cook the shredded tri-tip in a skillet with the marinade to moisten the meat. Toss to combine and reheat the meat for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover the skillet to keep the meat warm while you prep the rest.
- Sauté the onions and bell peppers. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onions and bell peppers along with 3 tablespoons of the reserved marinade. Cook until the onions and peppers are al dente- lightly cooked but still crisp. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the tri-tip fajitas. Place the tortillas in between dry paper towels, alternating them. Cover them with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute to soften. Add the fajita vegetables and shredded beef to each tortilla and serve with lime wedges, salsa, and sour cream.
For more fajita recipes, check these out:
Enjoy these delicious, flavor-packed tri-tip fajitas! The moist and tender shreds of tri-tip with the crisp, sautéed onions and peppers are the perfect filling inside these soft and pillowy flour tortillas.
It’s a dinner dream, even more so because it all comes together with ease! We can’t wait for you to try them.
More Recipes You Will Love
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowl: This easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowl is a twist on Tex-Mex fajitas. Zesty marinated chicken strips, red and green bell peppers and thick-cut onion rings roasted on a sheet pan. Served in a bowl with salad greens and a simple dressing rather than wrapped in a tortilla.
- Tex-Mex Fish Tacos with Chipotle Slaw: Tex-Mex fish tacos with chipotle slaw in a warm tortilla. Crispy, flaky fish and a crunchy slaw with chopped cabbage, carrot, onion, jalepeno peppers and cilantro mixed with a spicy chipotle dressing that enhances all the flavors.
- Kamut Flour Tortillas: Kamut flour tortillas are thin, soft and easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. They are always a delicious accompaniment to your favorite Southwestern meal! Just butter a hot tortilla, roll it up and enjoy.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1/2 red jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For the Fajita Filling:
- 8 ounces shredded slow cooker tri-tip roast *see notes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 large bell peppers, red, yellow and green
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- Lime wedges, salsa and sour cream
For the Marinade:
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a jar, put the lid on and shake to combine. Set aside.
For the Fajita Filling:
- Add the shredded tri-tip to a skillet set over medium-low heat. Drizzle 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the marinade over the beef to moisten, toss to combine and reheat, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover the skillet and keep warm while preparing the fajitas.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high; then add the onions and bell peppers. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the reserved marinade and cook until the onions and peppers are lightly cooked (al dente) and slightly crisp. Remove from the heat.
- Alternate tortillas with dry paper towels on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add fajita vegetables and shredded beef to each tortilla and serve with lime wedges, salsa and sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 599mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.