This easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowl is a twist on the Tex-Mex fajita. Zesty marinated chicken strips, red and green bell peppers and thick-cut onion rings all roasted on a sheet pan. We served this in a bowl with salad greens and a simple dressing rather than wrapped in a tortilla.
A bowl full of roasted veggies, a little protein and some crunchy tortilla chips is all you need to enjoy a hearty, healthy meal!
What are Fajitas?
The original fajitas are actually of the Mexican cuisine made popular by the Mexican rancheros along the Texas-Mexican border. The rancheros made their fajitas from skirt steak, a tough, inexpensive cut of beef. They marinated the skirt steak to develop tenderness and infuse flavor. They grilled the beef along with onions and peppers then wrapped them in warm tortillas.
The Mexican name for this beef specialty is arrachera. As the Texan cowboys began enjoying this delicious grilled treat it became a Tex-Mex specialty with the name fajita.
Nowadays, fajitas are made with a variety of cuts of beef, other meats, poultry and even fish and shellfish. But beef skirt steak is the original, true fajita.
Ingredients for this Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowl:
We are using a savory marinade made with fresh lime juice, honey, garlic and herbs to infuse a delicious flavor into the chicken strips.
- Lime juice
- Olive Oil
- Cumin powder
- Chili Powder
- Chicken breast strips
- Onion slices
- Bell Pepper slices, red/green/yellow
- Canned black beans
- Salad greens
- Lime wedges
This easy sheet pan chicken fajita bowl is a meal in itself and with a simple oil and vinegar dressing it becomes a healthy salad in a bowl.
How to Make our Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowl:
This chicken fajita bowl is a favorite at our house not only because it is so good but also because it is mostly done on a sheet pan and there is little clean up to do. Here is the basic ‘how-to’ round-up but please, scroll down to the recipe card for full instructions:
Step 1. Make the marinade then add the chicken and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Step 2. Coat the onion and bell pepper slices with oil then add them to a sheet pan.
Step 3. Remove the chicken strips from the marinade and drain briefly on a paper towel lined plate, then add them to the sheet pan. Season the vegetables and chicken with salt and pepper and transfer to the preheat to 425°F oven and roast for 15 minutes.
Step 5. Reheat the canned black beans, add the oil/vinegar to a jar and shake to combine.
That is how easy this sheet pan chicken fajita bowl is to prepare. To assemble, add fresh greens to serving bowls then arrange portions of each component to the dish and garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs. Let each guest add the oil/vinegar dressing to their serving.
There are many options to add as accompaniments. Adding crunchy tortilla chips over the salad greens, topping with avocado slices and grated cheese are some of our favorites.
I love this sheet pan chicken fajita bowl so much it is frequently on repeat here at our house. I hope you give it a try! For more sheet pan dinners check out our post with over 45 ideas for easy sheet pan dinners.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole: This chicken tortilla casserole is a crowd-pleaser. Layers of shredded rotisserie chicken, plenty of cheese and a creamy garlic butter sauce for the ultimate one-pan meal!
- Spicy Pulled Pork Empanadas: A light, flaky killer crust envelopes these spicy pulled pork empanadas. All the delicious Mexican flavors are in the spicy pork filling. You will be dreaming of a vacation to Mexico.
- Baked Turkey Burrito Casserole: Our Baked Turkey Burrito Casserole, made with leftover turkey, vegetables and a creamy pepper jack cheese sauce.
- Roasted chicken thighs, fresh asparagus, and tender Yukon potatoes cook in a timely fashion in this recipe for our sheet pan chicken dinner.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Fajita Mix:
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, sliced thickly
- 2 bell peppers, red and green, deseeded and sliced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salad greens of choice
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Tortilla Chips
- Lime Wedges
- Cilantro sprigs
Make the Marinade:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Add the prepared chicken breast strips and toss to coat well. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roast the Chicken and Veggies:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Add the sliced onions to a bowl and drizzle with oil. Transfer to a baking sheet. To the same bowl, add the bell peppers, drizzle with oil and add to the baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain briefly on a paper towel lined plate. Place the chicken on the sheet pan. Transfer the sheet pan to the preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the pan is roasting, add the drained beans to a sauce pan and reheat on medium high.
To assemble the salad:
- Place the salad greens in the bottom of 4 serving bowls, divide the chicken and vegetables equally between the bowls. Spoon 1/2 cup of been onto each serving and garnish with lime wedges, tortilla chips and cilantro sprigs.
- This chicken fajita salad bowl can be garnished in so many delicious ways. Some examples are avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and pickled jalepeno peppers.