I love this time of the year when we still have some really warm, sunny days but it is cool in the morning and in the evening. My mom used to tell me it was Indian Summer. Anyway, it is my favorite time of the year.
It is also a time when I start thinking of soup making and today was just such a day and I had a hunger for lentil-sausage soup. Whenever I make this soup I think of my grandson, Joshua, and how much he loves this soup.
It is thick, hearty, nutritious, full of vegetables and with just enough sausage to give it another layer of flavor while still keeping it low in calories and fat. Sometimes I omit the sausage and just have a vegetarian soup that works really well for a meatless dinner.
This delicious soup is all you need for a quick, easy meal with some warm crusty bread and a simple salad.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 medium fennel, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 cans 14 oz each diced tomatoes
- 3 quarts beef or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Place the olive oil into a large soup pot and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the leek, fennel, carrot, celery, garlic and salt and sauté until the vegetables are slightly soft, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, thyme, cumin and bay leaves and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 6gSodium: 1063mgCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 20g