This quick barley bread is a delicious, homemade bread loaf and there’s no yeast required! It’s a rustic bread made completely with barley flour which gives it a unique and complex flavor. This bread is simple to make and has a rich taste with a dense texture that’s similar to cornbread.
Barley bread is the perfect recipe for all your homemade bread needs, and a wonderful go-to if you don’t have any yeast on hand.
What does barley flour taste like? Barley flour is derived from the grain of the barley plant and has a mild flavor with nutty notes. It’s an alternative to traditional wheat flours, but it still contains some gluten. Barley flour is a high-fiber flour that is lower in carbohydrates than other flours and also contains an impressive nutritional profile, packed with loads of vitamins and minerals!
how to make our quick barley bread
I know you’ll appreciate the ease of this homemade bread recipe! Eight ingredients and less than an hour in the oven will leave you with a hearty and tender barley bread that won’t disappoint.
Here’s what you need for this tasty homemade bread:
- barley flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- olive oil
It’s a three-step process to make this quick barley bread, and it’s so, so easy! (For all the details, check out the full recipe at the bottom of the page).
- Prepare your pan – Spray a standard sized bread loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix the ingredients- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the barley flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, stir together the wet ingredients. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and gently stir until it is just combined.
- Bake the barley bread – Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
This rustic barley bread has a wonderful taste and texture! It’s light but dense, and the barley flour gives it an almost malt-like flavor. The large crumb makes this a soft and tender loaf, but it slices easily and won’t fall apart.
It makes fabulous toast, which is our favorite way to enjoy it! Slather some fresh strawberry jam on top and start your morning off right!
Yeast bread like our sprouted wheat sandwich bread or our oatmeal bread takes quite a bit more time to make but you can have this bread in less than an hour. If you want to use it for sandwiches then we recommend toasting the slices first.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- This quick no-knead Dutch oven bread is also a winner! A simple, crusty and fluffy artisan loaf is baked a Dutch oven, and there’s no special equipment required! If you’re missing bakery-style bread, look no further than this homemade, rustic loaf!
- Pizza lovers (so EVERYONE), your pizza night just got 100 times more exciting with our Sourdough Pizza Dough recipe! Make use of your sourdough starter and enjoy a delicious twist on pizza crust- you’ll never go back!
- We’re coming up on hot fudge sundae season (or is it a year-round thing?) and this Homemade Chocolate Syrup couldn’t be any simpler! It’s rich, ultra chocolate-y, and guaranteed to taste better than any store-bought hot fudge you’ll find.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3 cups barley flour (340 grams)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soca
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-1/2 by 4-1/2 bread loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the barley flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and honey.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the bread loaf pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This is not gluten-free. Barley does have gluten in it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda, 8 oz
- 365 Everyday Value, Baking Powder, 10 oz
- California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil Mild & Buttery -- 16.9 fl oz - 2 pc
- Nature Nate’s 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Organic Honey; 32-oz. Squeeze Bottle, Honey’s Balanced Flavor and Wholesome Benefits, Just as Nature Intended (Packaging may vary)
- Bob's Red Mill Barley Flour | Whole Grain Stone Ground Flour | 20 Ounce Resealable Pouch | Pack of 2
- Doughmakers 10551 Loaf Pan Commercial Grade Aluminum 8.5" x 4.5"
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.