Light and airy, our whipped ricotta dip is an easy appetizer recipe that comes together in just minutes! Creamy, velvety ricotta cheese is whipped together with only a few ingredients until it becomes cloud-like, melt-in-your-mouth perfection.
This crowd-pleasing appetizer is perfect for any occasion and is sure to impress your guests, but beware – it will disappear quickly! Grab your favorite crisp fresh veggies, crusty bread, or sourdough crackers, and let’s dig in!
Ricotta is a versatile ingredient that goes well in sweet or savory dishes. We use it in desserts like our lemon ricotta tart, tender ricotta cookies, and lemon ricotta cake. And we add it to savory recipes like ricotta mashed potatoes, tomato ricotta tart, and artichoke casserole.
But have you tried a creamy whipped ricotta dip? This indulgent appetizer takes the already versatile and creamy cheese to new heights.
This easy whipped ricotta is infused with bright and tangy lemon zest and fragrant herbs then topped with a drizzle of sweet honey. It’s no wonder this show-stopping dish is a hit at any gathering! With its divine taste and easy-to-make recipe, this whipped ricotta dip is a must-try for all ricotta cheese fans.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make, only 3 ingredients for the dip, and it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up.
- You can top it with a number of delicious sweet and savory combinations like Instant Pot roasted garlic, honey, grilled peppers, diced tomatoes, and your favorite herbs and spices.
- The ricotta is whipped to a light and airy consistency, making it perfect for spreading on crackers, garlic bread, or dipping vegetables.
- You can serve whipped ricotta as a dip or spread it on your favorite bread like our No-Knead Rosemary Bread to serve as crostini for a delicious grab and go snack or appetizer.
Anything creamy and cheesy is simply hard (if not impossible) to resist. Give your next party a lineup of the best, cheesiest apps to choose from! Like our Smoked Gouda Dip, Buffalo Chicken Dip, or our Chile Relleno Dip.
Ingredients for Fluffy Smooth Ricotta Spread
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need for this whipped ricotta recipe. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
- Ricotta Cheese. Purchase whole milk ricotta for the best results.
- Olive Oil. Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil that has a nice flavor.
- Honey. Try hot honey for a spicy kick or use buckwheat honey for a rich deep flavor.
- Sunflower seeds or pistachio nuts.
- Chopped Herbs.
- Lemon Zest.
Recipe Highlights: How to Make Whipped Ricotta
Here is a brief overview to get an idea of what to expect when you make this whipped ricotta cheese. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
Place the ricotta and salt in a mixing bowl. Whip on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until light and airy.
Spoon the whipped ricotta into a serving bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, honey, sunflower seeds, and lemon zest.
All what’s next is to serve with fresh veggies, toast, crackers, or pita chips and enjoy!
How to Serve Whipped Fresh Ricotta
You can use this ricotta dip as a spread or topping for so many things. Here are some serving ideas to make the most of this creamy dip:
- Ricotta Crostini or Bruschetta: Serve it on toasted slices of baguette or artisan bread, topped with a drizzle of extra olive oil, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Veggie Dip: Serve the ricotta dip with fresh, crunchy vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, celery, and radishes for dipping.
- Topped on Grilled Fruits: This creamy spread is delicious on grilled peaches or plums.
- Stuffed in Peppers: Blend the dip in the food processor with garlic, lemon zest, and fresh herbs. Fill peppadew peppers with the spread for an easy appetizer.
- As a Base for Flatbreads: Spread on flatbread or pizza crust and top with prosciutto, apple slices, and hot honey.
- With Roasted Beet Slices: Layer the whipped ricotta between thin slices of roasted beets, adding a sprinkle of dill or tarragon for a colorful and flavorful appetizer.
- On a Charcuterie Board: Include the whipped ricotta as part of a cheese board, along with meats, other cheeses, nuts, jam, honey, and fresh fruit.
⏲ Storing Whipped Ricotta
Store this whipped ricotta spread in an airtight container in the fridge for four to five days. We don’t recommend freezing this dip because the texture will change when it thaws.
Whipped ricotta dip is an easy appetizer that is perfect for any occasion, from game day to summer cookouts. With only 3 ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you can whip up this dish in no time.
It’s one of those recipes that will save your day if you need a last-minute dish to bring to a party. Just serve it with some naan bread or crostini for a delicious snack.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Asian Pork Meatballs
- Smoked Traeger Jalapeno Poppers
- Lebanese Baba Ganoush
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs
- 37 Easy Party Appetizers
- Dips for Entertaining
Frequently Asked Questions
Some manufacturers pre-mix their ricotta cheese with stabilizers, which can make the texture dry and grainy. To avoid this, check the ingredient label.
Some brands of ricotta have more liquid in them. If you have watery ricotta, drain the liquid before you make this recipe.
⭐️ Helpful Tools
Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
More Recipes You Will Love:
Our cucumber shrimp bites make perfect little tapas for a party, and they are gluten free and low in fat so they fit into a healthy diet.
Stuffed grape leaves are a favorite appetizer at any party. We promise these will be the first to go.
More Dips for Your Party
- Baba ganoush
- Buffalo chicken dip
- Red beet hummus
- Carrot hummus
- Onion soup dip
- Herbed oil dip
- Bean dip
- Greek yogurt dip
- Chili relleno dip
- Hot crab dip
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 cup fresh whole milk ricotta
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds or chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (thyme, parsley, mint, or rosemary)
- lemon zest
- Place the ricotta and salt in a mixing bowl. Whip on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until light and airy. Alternatively, you can process the ricotta in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment.
- Spoon the whipped ricotta into a serving bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, honey, sunflower seeds, and lemon zest.
- Serve with fresh veggies, toast, crackers, or pita chips.
- Make sure you use whole milk ricotta. Reduced fat ricotta will not whip as well.
- An electric mixer will add more air and volume to the whipped ricotta than a food processor. However, the food processor will make the ricotta a bit smoother.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.