Woohoo! This Salmon Salad with Spelt Pasta makes me happy on so many levels. First level…., it is absolutely delicious with the flaked salmon, capers, dill, red onion and chives tossed with the pasta. And that lemony vinaigrette? It is perfect!
Second level….It is an easy, make-ahead feast that after chilling in the refrigerator for a couple of hours absorbs all those wonderful flavors.
Third level….It uses our left-over salmon in a very delicious way.
Forth level….The lemony vinaigrette is light and tangy. If you love salmon and lemons you will love this salad!
Fifth level….It is a one-dish dinner and all that is needed is a basket of sliced sourdough bread. And a glass of white wine?
Sixth level….The ancient grain spelt pasta has a firm texture, the grain is nutritious, low gluten, high protein and makes a wholesome, healthy pasta with a great nutty flavor.
Seventh level….We can prepare this salad quickly in the morning with no need to be in the hot kitchen during the heat of the afternoon. You can plan to relax on the deck in the cool evening and enjoy a delicious care-free light dinner.
That just about covers it. This salmon pasta salad is a winner-dinner!
Salmon Salad with Spelt Pasta
Yield 6 Servings
This Salmon Salad with Spelt Pasta is filled with salmon, capers, dill, onions, chives and spelt pasta. It is tossed with a wonderful tangy lemon vinaigrette.
For the Salad:
- 12 ounces dry spelt pasta or traditional pasta
- 12 ounces cooked, chilled and flaked salmon
- 1/2 cup capers, drained
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or scallions
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Chopped chives or scallion tops for garnish
For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse in cold water to cool, drain well.
- Transfer to a large salad bowl and add salmon, capers, red onion, chives and dill.
- In a small dish whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat. Garnish with chopped chives or scallion tops over and serve. Alternately, scoop into individual dishes add garnish and serve.
If you choose to cook the pasta in advance and refrigerated it before adding the remaining ingredients, a tablespoon of oil tossed with it will prevent it from clumping together.
Serving Size 1 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22.1 g
Saturated Fat 3.2 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 447 mg
Total Carbohydrates 37.4 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 18.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.