Blueberry spelt muffins aren’t your average blueberry muffins. Tender, moist, and bursting with juicy blueberries (fresh OR frozen, take your pick!), blueberry spelt muffins make a perfect, on-the-go breakfast.
We take our blueberry muffins very seriously, which is why we know you’ll LOVE this recipe! Our blueberry spelt muffins are:
- made with spelt flour for a hearty, nutritious muffin
- bursting with sweet blueberries
- easy to make and portable– the BEST kind of breakfast or midday snack!
- soft, tender, and packed with flavor
healthy blueberry muffins
Since we use spelt flour in this blueberry muffin recipe, this is a healthier take on traditional muffins. Spelt flour carries a delicious, nutty taste and it’s really easy to incorporate into baked goods (p.s. read more about our favorite ancient grains here!). In case you haven’t noticed yet, we love spelt flour and bake with it often (i.e. our spelt chocolate chip cookies, healthy spelt banana bread, and spelt Irish soda bread, to name a few!)
With these blueberry spelt muffins, the spelt flour contributes to its flavor, nutritional profile, and its tender texture. Dare we say we actually prefer this version to the classic blueberry muffin!
how to make them
Ready to make blueberry spelt muffins? Like most muffin recipes, it’s pretty straightforward. For starters, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- packed brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- greek yogurt
- vanilla extract
- whole wheat spelt flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- blueberries (fresh or frozen both work just fine!)
Make sure you have plenty of muffin liners and a couple of good muffin tins. Those are pretty much the only special equipment items you need to get a delicious batch of these blueberry spelt muffins in the oven!
Here’s the quick step-by-step process, but be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page for the full recipe with all of the details:
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with a nonstick spray (cupcake liners are always the easiest!).
- Mix: In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and then fold in the blueberries.
- Bake: Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full, then place them in the oven for 5 minutes. After the first 5 minutes, decrease the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 17-20 minutes. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the muffin tins and cool them completely on a wire rack.
baker’s tips for blueberry spelt muffins
- You don’t have to use muffin liners but they’ve always been our go-to since it just makes muffin removal THAT MUCH EASIER. If you choose not to use them, don’t forget to spray a coating of nonstick spray on the pan.
- A high baking temperature in the first five minutes will give you beautifully tall, bakery-style muffins. The higher temperature activates the baking powder right away, so they get taller than they would if you were to bake them at 350° the entire time.
We know you’ll love these blueberry spelt muffins! There’s nothing like a smear of butter on a warm blueberry muffin with a hot cup of coffee, am I right? Whether you’re making these blueberry spelt muffins for an after-school snack, or a Saturday breakfast, don’t forget that second batch! These will go FAST.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Our Banana Blueberry Baked Oatmeal is the ultimate healthy breakfast, and you’d never know it! A break pudding-style dish, full of fruit and whole oats, this one’s perfect any morning of the week.
- These Banana Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping are a blueberry muffin indulgence! Tall muffins with a bakery-style crumb topping are tender and crunchy at the same time!
- Chocolate Chip Muffins with a Toffee Crumb Streusel are the next best thing to cupcakes! These are dreamy, perfectly sweet, and reminiscent of a Heath bar. Basically, you NEED these. 😉
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 18 muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray the tins with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, brown sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Fill the muffin tins and place in the oven at 425°F for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for another 17 to 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the tins for 10 minutes then remove them and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.