This healthy spelt banana bread has all the right flavors and is a healthier version of the classic banana bread recipe we all know and love! It’s made with wholesome, whole wheat spelt flour and does not include any refined sugar.
You can eat this nutritious banana bread for breakfast, lunch, snack time, dinnertime, ANYTIME, completely guilt-free. 😉
the healthy banana bread you need
Banana bread is a good, old-fashioned classic. I have wonderful memories of being a kid and snacking on a slice of my mom’s banana bread after school (on many occasions), then grabbing a slice out the door for breakfast the next morning. Can you relate?
Perhaps you’ve made this banana bread recipe or you’ve tried our blueberry banana bread or this delicious copycat Starbucks banana bread. I have to say, they’re all amazing in their own special ways, but we’ve yet to publish a recipe for a healthy banana bread– one with whole grains and no refined sugar.
So here it is, and it’s a keeper. This healthy spelt banana bread is sweetened with coconut sugar, maple syrup, and of course, bananas. Plus, the whole wheat spelt flour adds a sweetened, nutty taste of its own. We love spelt because it’s a nice, nutrient-dense alternative to regular white flour.
This healthy banana bread has it all.
- 100% whole grain
- No refined sugar
- Healthy, wholesome, and high in fiber.
- You only need 1 bowl to mix the batter
- Extra moist and tender
how to make spelt banana bread
Our spelt banana bread is quick to mix up and the perfect way to use those sad looking bananas that I seem to always have sitting in my fruit basket.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- mashed ripe bananas
- coconut sugar
- maple syrup
- vegetable oil
- large eggs (room temperature)
- vanilla extract
- whole wheat spelt flour
- ground cinnamon
- baking powder
- baking soda
An easy list, right? We love the addition of cinnamon here- it pairs really well with the spelt and gives this banana bread a little extra warmth.
To make it, follow this summarized process (but be sure to check out the full recipe at the bottom of the page!):
- Mix the batter- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prep a standard sized loaf pan with grease (or line with parchment paper). Combine the banana, sugar, maple syrup, oil, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until it’s well combined. Sift in the dry ingredients and gently fold it into the mixture.
- Bake the banana bread- Pour the batter into your loaf pan and bake the banana bread for 55-60 minutes, or until done. You can check by inserting a toothpick into the center to see if it comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for about 20 minutes. Remove it from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- We really recommend lining the bread pan with parchment paper because it’s so much easier to remove the spelt banana bread from the pan. You can lift the parchment paper right out of the pan and bring the loaf with it! Also, parchment paper helps guarantee the bread won’t stick to the pan.
- Another tip: be sure to allow the banana bread to cool for 20 minutes before you remove it from the pan. When it’s too hot, the bread is extra delicate and it becomes harder to gently lift out in one piece.
- About mashing those bananas: We’ve used a fork, we’ve used a potato masher, and both work just fine. However, if you have a pastry cutter, you’ll see that it mashes that fruit even quicker and easier!
- Don’t over-mix the batter! You want to stir the ingredients together just until they are well combined, otherwise you run the risk of this light and tender bread turning out to be tough and heavy.
I’ll take a slice. Or two. Toasted, preferably. And you can’t forget the butter! There’s nothing quite like homestyle banana bread! This healthy banana bread recipe gives you all the flavor and goodness you LOVE, without all the refined sugar. So have that second slice. Or third. No guilt here!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- These Banana Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping are such a tasty treat, and are made to be big and bakery-style! Loaded with juicy blueberries and a crunchy cinnamon topping, you’ll definitely NEED another.
- Our Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies are always a good idea! We love how spelt adds extra depth and flavor to a classic chocolate chip cookie- in fact, we might just prefer it over the original!
- Do you like sweet breakfasts? This Overnight French Toast Bake is AMAZING. Prep it the night before to make for the easiest breakfast or brunch that will feed a crowd.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts!
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 to 4 bananas)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or line it with parchment paper).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana, coconut sugar, maple syrup, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over the banana mixture.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for 20 minutes then remove it from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lining the bread pan with parchment paper will make it much easier to remove the banana bread. It will also guarantee that the bread will not get stuck in the pan.
- Let the banana bread cool for 20 minutes before you remove it from the pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cuisinart AMB-9LP 9-Inch Chef's Classic Nonstick Bakeware Loaf Pan, Silver
- MADHAVA Organic Coconut Sugar 3 Lb. Bag (Pack of 1), Natural Sweetener, Sugar Alternative, Unrefined, Sugar for Coffee, Tea & Recipes, Vegan, Organic, Non GMO
- Hidden Springs Organic Vermont Maple Syrup, Grade A Dark Robust (Formerly Grade B), 32 Ounce, 1 Quart, Family Farms, BPA-free Jug
- Bob's Red Mill Spelt Flour, 24 Oz (4 Pack)
- U-Taste 10 Piece Measuring Cups and Spoons Set in 18/8 Stainless Steel
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- OXO SteeL 9-Inch Better Wire Whisk
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.