Whole Wheat Carrot Spelt Muffins are tender and sweet, and packed with wholesome whole-grain spelt flour (one of our favorites!). Rest assured this is a healthy carrot muffin, naturally sweetened with honey. Greek yogurt also comes into play here, and makes this spelt muffin extra moist.
If you like these muffins you will like our healthy spelt banana bread.
These carrot spelt muffins contain everything we need in a good muffin recipe. They make a great breakfast or after-school snack, and aren’t loaded with refined sugar which means you can indulge in this delicious treat guilt-free! These are healthy muffins but that doesn’t mean they lack anything. They are tender, moist, and incredibly delicious. Dare I say, one of our favorites.
about the spelt flour
Have you ever baked with spelt flour? If you’ve been around here a while, you may know it’s one of our favorite whole wheat flours to use.
We often turn to spelt flour due to its rich and complex flavor as well as its impressive nutritional profile. So when developing the recipe for these healthy carrot muffins, spelt flour sounded like the perfect option.
ingredients for carrot spelt muffins
These carrot spelt muffins are incredibly easy, so make them on a busy weekday or on a quiet weekend morning when you’re looking for a low-effort breakfast.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Greek yogurt
- coconut oil, melted (butter works well too)
- vanilla extract
- whole wheat spelt flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- shredded carrots
how to make whole wheat carrot spelt muffins
These easy carrot muffins are ready in about half an hour! Here are the simple steps to follow (for the full recipe details and all the ingredient amounts, make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to view the entire recipe):
- Prep your pan: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray the tin with nonstick spray.
- Mix the the wet ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients: Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure the batter is well combined. Fold in the shredded carrots. Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Bake the spelt muffins: Fill the muffin tins and place the pan in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. After 5 minutes at the higher temperature, turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for another 17 to 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the tins for 10 minutes then transfer each to a wire rack to cool completely.
The blast of heat for the first 5 minutes of baking will react with the baking powder, and result in a taller, bakery-style muffin. Don’t forget to turn down the temperature to 350°F after 5 minutes.
For slightly smaller muffins, use a 16-cup muffin tin instead of a 12-cup muffin tin. Reduce the baking time by 3 to 4 minutes.
Storing these healthy carrot muffins:
These muffins will keep in a covered container for 2 to 3 days or you can freeze them for up to 3 months. They are perfect for quick breakfasts on-the-go. Just pop a frozen muffin in the microwave to thaw it out and enjoy it with your morning coffee.
No refined sugar
These carrot spelt muffins are slightly sweetened and packed with deliciousness- from the warm cinnamon spice to the tender shreds of carrots.
They are sweetened with honey but you can substitute maple syrup if you like.
I could easily eat a couple… or three… or four. And I wouldn’t be alone either. These are healthy carrot muffins the whole family will enjoy!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Our Bluberry Spelt Muffins are packed with juicy blueberries and a delicious, whole wheat flavor. They make the perfect on-the-go breakfast!
- We love spelt flour and we love sourdough, so that means this Spelt Sourdough Bread is the best of both worlds! There is so much flavor in this rustic, wholesome loaf, you may never opt for store-bought sourdough again!
- Our Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars are another nutrient-packed meal! Made with whole foods that are filling and nutritious, you can easily grab one for breakfast or a light snack.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (or melted butter)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat spelt flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray the tins with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold the carrots into the batter.
- Fill the muffin tins and place in the oven at 425°F for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for another 17 to 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the tins for 10 minutes then remove them and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
For slightly smaller muffins, line 16 muffin tins instead of 12 and reduce the baking time by 3 to 4 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.