Our ancient grains breakfast bars are filled with wholesome, nutritious ingredients and they offer a delicious option to add to your regular breakfast choices. Served with a dish of yogurt and fresh berries, your day will have a great beginning.
We used an ancient grain mix of whole grain Kamut® flour, white einkorn flour, old-fashioned oats and rolled spelt flakes as the base for these breakfast bars. Then we added sweet dried apricots, chopped walnuts, a selection of seeds, yogurt and a touch of honey.
We really love these bars, they are nutritious and chock-full of goodies. They are moist and soft, not too sweet and the nuts and seeds give them some crunch. They are super-good as a snack, or… a quick lunch with a juicy apple would be excellent.
This recipe for ancient grains breakfast bars will make 24 nice servings and wrapped in plastic film they will keep a long time in the freezer. We are betting that they won’t really last a long time though. 🙂
Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars
Yield 24 Bars
For our ancient grains breakfast bars we used a mix of whole grain Kamut® flour, white einkorn flour, cooked einkorn berries, and rolled spelt flakes as the base. They are chock-full of nutritious sweet dried apricots, chopped walnuts, a selection of seeds, yogurt and a touch of honey.
For the Dry Mix:
- 1 cup (120g) whole grainKamut flour
- 1 cup (120g) white einkorn flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup organic oats
- 1/2 cup rolled speltflakes
- 2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups roasted walnuts, rough chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
For the Wet Mix:
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a baking pan, 11x15x2 with parchment paper, extending the ends on the two long ends, spray with cooking oil and reserve.
For the Dry Mix:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the oats, rolled spelt flakes, apricots, walnuts, coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Stir to combine all ingredients. Set aside
For the Wet Mix:
- In a separate bowl, add and stir together the egg whites, yogurt, milk and sugar. To a microwaveable dish, add the honey and coconut oil and warm slightly, stir together then whisk into the yogurt/milk mixture. Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth out the top and transfer to the middle of the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes, until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into 24 bars, wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate or freeze.
You can change the flavors by using different dried fruits and nut as long as they total 5 cups. Dried cranberries, coconut and roasted almonds are delicious.
Serving Size 1 Bar
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15.1 g
Saturated Fat 5.9 g
Cholesterol 2.88 mg
Sodium 301 mg
Total Carbohydrates 31.5 g
Dietary Fiber 3.75 g
Sugars 12.1 g
Protein 10.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.