Healthy whole grain oatmeal cookies made with spelt flour. The spelt gives the cookies a sweet nutty flavor and a boost of nutrition.
I love baking with ancient grains, they tend to have a more complex flavor and are higher in nutrients than modern grains. Spelt has a delightful nutty flavor that adds an amazing characteristic to baked goods.
These oatmeal raisin spelt cookies are sweetened with coconut sugar and honey, which adds a rich complexity and earthiness to the cookies. They make a great breakfast cookie. They are whole grain, all natural, have no refined sugar and have healthy monounsaturated fats from the olive oil. Each cookie is under 120 calories and they taste incredible.
That’s a breakfast cookie in my book. If you haven’t baked with spelt yet, these cookies are a great place to start and just might get you hooked to use it more often.
Spelt is an ancient grain that was used in the biblical days. It is more nutritious than modern day wheat and it is more easily digested.
It does have gluten in it but some people find they can tolerate the gluten in spelt much better than modern wheat. The best thing about spelt is the flavor. Whole wheat spelt has a sweet, almost nutty flavor that makes anything you create taste wonderful.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars
- Einkorn Almond Pear Cake
- Sprouted Spelt Rosemary Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Ancient Grain Apple Breakfast Cookie
- Healthy Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
Connect With Savor the Best
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1-½ cups spelt flour (180 grams)
- 2 cups rolled oats (160 grams)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup light olive oil (49 grams)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (150 grams)
- ¼ cup honey (85 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup raisins (127 grams)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the spelt flour, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl stir together the olive oil, coconut sugar, honey, eggs and vanilla. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture then stir in the raisins.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and drop onto prepared cookie sheet (I use a cookie scoop that holds 2 tablespoons). Space the cookie dough about 1 ½ inches apart to leave room for a little spreading.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes then cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.