Einkorn pasta with mushrooms!! We love the flavors in this recipe of einkorn pasta with morel mushrooms, crisp pancetta, leeks, fresh herbs and a creamy rosemary-goat cheese that coats every bite. The pasta has more flavor than traditional pasta with a somewhat nutty taste that goes very well with mushrooms.
Einkorn wheat is one of the ancient, heirloom grains that is still in the original character structure. Yes, it has gluten because it is wheat grain, but the gluten is different than the modern day wheat and responds differently in our bodies.
In the early 1960s modernized technologies were introduced that increases the yield of wheat by modifying the genetic structure of the wheat grain. This provided a stronger wheat, easier to harvest and with increased yields. It also altered the gluten structure and some believe that is the reason celiac disease, gluten intolerance, and gluten sensitive issues have become so prevalent today.
There is a definite taste difference between the einkorn pasta and the typical pastas made from modern wheat pasta. Einkorn pasta, grains and flours are becoming more available in our grocery stores and making fresh pasta with the flour is a fun project. Recently we posted a recipe for
Einkorn pasta with mushrooms! Yum. You can substitute any mushroom in this recipe but if you can get your hands on morel mushrooms you won’t be disappointed.
The morel mushroom season has arrived and we have included them in our recipe for einkorn pasta with morel mushrooms. We have chosen the einkorn traditional spaghetti for this entree but the whole wheat variety is also a great choice.
Morel mushrooms are a strange looking delicacy and always remind me in appearance of the little brown pinecones that litter our backyard. Oh, but they are so delicious with their spongy texture, earthy taste and they have a slight crunch to them.
This main course pasta dish is easy to prepare and fancy enough for a company dinner as the morel mushrooms add a gourmet flair to it. You will love this pasta dish!
Smokey pancetta adds a layer of flavor along with the sliced baby leeks, fresh rosemary and a creamy sauce made with soft goat cheese.
A crisp green salad and crusty loaf of sourdough bread accompanied this dish of einkorn pasta with mushrooms.
More ancient grain pastas to check out:
Have you made this einkorn pasta with mushrooms? Did you use morel mushrooms or another type? We would love to see a picture. Tag us on Instagram.
- 12 ounces dry, Einkorn traditional spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups leeks, sliced in 1/4-inch rings, and rinsed in cold water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
For the Rosemary-Goat Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup white wine
- 8 ounces soft goat cheese
- Salt and pepper
For the Rosemary-Goat Cheese Sauce:
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the rosemary until the butter just begins to brown. Add the white wine and milk, bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes, reducing in volume slightly. Stir in the goat cheese, simmer for an additional minute. Add salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat, cover and reserve.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package directions, drain, cover and reserve.
- While the pasta water is heating, add the olive oil to a large skillet set over moderate heat and add the pancetta. Cook, stirring frequently until crisp. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. In the same skillet, add the shallots, garlic and morel mushrooms and cook just until softened. Add the sliced leeks, thyme and lemon juice and the reserved rosemary-goat cheese sauce and mix well.
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving dish and pour the mushroom cream sauce over the top, Toss to combine.
- Arrange the pasta on individual warmed plates and garnish with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.