It’s hard to resist French onion soup dip- it’s a party favorite that always seems to quickly disappear! Our version is extra creamy and thick, made healthier with our homemade onion soup mix and is a great low-sodium and gluten-free snack!
If you’ve never had French onion soup dip, prepare yourself for the most delicious, creamiest, flavor bomb (if you’ve tried it before, you know)!
What is French onion soup dip?
French onion soup dip is the perfect mix of salty, savory and onion-y (it’s a word now) but in an ultra smooth and creamy form that is nearly impossible to stop eating.
We use our homemade onion soup mix for this recipe, but it’s not an absolute must. However, our homemade version is much lower in sodium and doesn’t have the preservatives that are found in most store-bought products. If you have some of the homemade mix already on hand, wonderful! If not, check out the recipe to see how easy it is to make yourself.
How to make French Onion Soup Dip
Did I mention how easy this is? Its a throw-together-as-guests-are-arriving type of recipe! Just make sure you let it sit for at least 5-10 minutes before serving to give the dehydrated onions enough time to soften.
Here is what you’ll need:
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- homemade onion soup mix (or a store-bought packet)
To make the French onion soup dip, follow the two steps below! (But make sure to check out the full recipe at the bottom of the page, too).
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix, mix, mix!
- Let the dip sit for 5-10 minutes to soften the dehydrated onions. You can chill it in the fridge or serve immediately with chips or raw vegetables.
onion dip recipe tips
This one’s a breeze to make but we do have a couple of important tips that will result in the best French onion soup dip EVER.
- Make sure the cream cheese is soft so it blends without lumps. Like many recipes that use cream cheese, you can allow the cream cheese to sit out for a while until it’s at room temperature. This makes it easier to mix with the other ingredients and prevents lumps that typically form with cold cream cheese.
- While you can easily use a packet of store-bought French onion soup mix, our homemade version is simple and much lower in sodium. If you use a store-bought packet, it will add about 600mg of additional sodium to the nutrition information.
What do you plan to serve this tasty dip with? Salty potato chips and crisp veggies are the perfect little vessels to load up with this creamy onion dip. Plus, they add a special crunch that is hard to resist.
The most difficult thing about this onion soup recipe is that you will not be able to walk away from it. ? Enjoy!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
If you have left-over onion soup mix then use it in this easy onion soup meatloaf recipe. It is a fast, easy dinner and it only takes 6 ingredients.
This Beefy French Onion Soup is swimming with caramelized onions in a rich, beef and wine broth. Toasted bread and melted Gruyère cheese are a delicious addition to every bite.
These Green Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts make a beautiful and tasty appetizer tray! For extra ease, you can use store-bought puff pastry and have these ready in no time.
Ready in under 30 minutes, there’s so much to love about this One Pot Chicken Orzo! Fresh kale, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, and pasta make this a winner.
More Party Dips
- whipped ricotta dip
- Greek yogurt dip
- olive oil dip
- buffalo chicken dip
- Gouda cheese dip
- hot crab dip
- chili relleno dip
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
Check out our soup cookbook. It is filled with wholesome and hearty soups. Each soup recipe is from scratch with real ingredients and filling enough to be enjoyed as a main-course meal.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 packet Onion soup mix or 3 Tablespoons homemade onion soup mix
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Let the dip sit for 5 to 10 minutes to soften the dehydrated onions.
- Serve with chips or raw veggies.
- Make sure the cream cheese is soft so it blends without any lumps.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Sodium content has been calculated based on our homemade onion soup mix. If you use a storebought soup mix then add an additional 600mg of sodium.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.