Chocolate marshmallow ice cream is rich, extra creamy, and chocolate-y with sweet marshmallow fluff and chocolate chunks. It’s a luscious and irresistible homemade ice cream that is worth every ounce of effort!
The rich chocolate ice cream is balanced perfectly with the sweetness of the marshmallow, and once you give it a try, it is sure to become one of your new favorite flavors.
Why This Ice Cream Recipe Works
Our chocolate marshmallow ice cream recipe results in a delicious, custard-based ice cream made with egg yolks. This method will give you an extra luscious and rich chocolate ice cream base.
The natural flavor and texture of the custard creates a homemade chocolate ice cream that is thick, smooth and incredibly creamy. Marshmallow fluff lightens it up while chopped chocolate intensifies that rich, chocolate flavor.
One of the great features about our chocolate marshmallow ice cream recipe is that it can be the base for other flavor variations!
If you love Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food ice cream, all you have to do is stir in some caramel sauce or dulce de leche and you’ll be in heaven! Or, top it with crushed graham crackers and sprinkle on a few mini marshmallows for a smores-inspired ice cream made completely at home.
This chocolate marshmallow ice cream is:
- The perfect combination of flavors and textures. It doesn’t get much better than creamy chocolate ice cream with a marshmallow ribbon and chopped chocolate, right?
- A fun project, no matter the season! Homemade ice cream isn’t just for the hot months. This delicious flavor is one you will want to enjoy year-round!
- A simple homemade ice cream recipe. Only ten ingredients are required!
The Ingredient List for Marshmallow Swirl Ice Cream
Here’s what you need to make chocolate marshmallow ice cream:
- whole milk
- granulated sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder. For a slightly more assertive chocolate flavor, use Dutch process cocoa and for a lighter chocolate flavor, use natural cocoa
- corn syrup or honey (optional, but it will give you a much smoother consistency)
- semi-sweet chocolate (either a chopped chocolate bar or even chocolate chips)
- egg yolks
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- marshmallow fluff
- caramel sauce (optional, if you want to make your own Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food inspired ice cream)
Make sure you save those egg whites for later use! If you’re feeling extra ambitious and creative, you can even use them to make your own homemade marshmallow fluff. 😉
When it comes to special equipment, this recipe does require an ice cream maker for churning.
You might be surprised at how simple it is to make this rich and indulgent chocolate marshmallow ice cream!
Below is a brief summary of the process, but be sure to scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page to view all of the ingredient amounts and details.
How to Make the Chocolate Ice Cream Base
This recipe starts with a rich chocolate ice cream base that I adapted from our chocolate stout ice cream. After you make the base, you will fold in the marshmallow cream and any other add-ins that you want.
Add the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, corn syrup (if using), and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat and stir in 4 ounces of chopped chocolate.
Tip: the corn syrup is optional, but it will reduce crystallization and make the ice cream super smooth and creamy.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Whisk in a 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks. Pour the tempered egg yolk mixture into the hot milk, whisking constantly, and cook over medium-low heat to let it thicken a bit.
Pour the mixture through a metal strainer to remove any lumps. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 4 hours.
Churning the Ice Cream and Adding the Marshmallow
Churn the ice cream mixture in your ice cream maker. When it has reached a “soft serve” consistency, mix in the chopped chocolate.
Pour half of the ice cream into a loaf pan. Spoon half of the marshmallow fluff and half of the caramel syrup over the ice cream, then swirl it with a knife. Repeat for another layer.
Press plastic wrap over the top of the ice cream and freeze it for 6-8 hours.
More Chilled or Frozen Desserts
- Easy No-Bake Caramel Turtle Pie
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Homemade Strawberry Popsicles (3 Ways)
- Cookie Monster Ice Cream
- 31 Cool Summer Dessert Ideas
Tips for Success
- Corn syrup helps reduce ice crystals in the ice cream and will give you creamier, smoother results. If you’re not a fan of corn syrup, you can substitute it for an equal amount of honey.
- It’s important to temper the egg yolks by mixing in just a little bit of the hot milk mixture first. If you don’t temper them, the hot milk can scramble the egg yolks. This is also why we strain the mixture to remove out any lumps (small, cooked bits of egg).
- If you prefer homemade marshmallow fluff instead of using the store-bought stuff, you can save the egg whites to use in your own homemade marshmallow base.
- We use a loaf pan to store the ice cream because it’s a deep pan, but you can use any similar freezer-safe container.
- High-quality ingredients like whole milk (over skim milk) and delicious semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks will elevate this ice cream even more.
- For easy scooping and serving, let the frozen ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
Homemade chocolate marshmallow ice cream is quite the treat! It’s thick, smooth and ultra creamy made with real foods and no artificial flavor!
Queue up those ice cream cones, toppings and whipped cream, if you like. This is one sweet indulgence that is worth pulling out all the stops! It also tastes great if you use it to make an ice cream cake roll.
⭐️ Helpful Tools
Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
? More Recipes You Will Love:
This Marshmallow Fondant is sweet and simple! It’s so easy to make your own fondant and decorate your cake at home, just like a pro.
Our homemade Cookie Monster Ice Cream is bright blue and features chunks of Oreos and chocolate chip cookies! It’s the perfect ice cream for a birthday party- the kiddos will love it. Plus, you can make it with or without an ice cream maker!
Our lavender ice cream is an easy no-churn recipe. Hints of lavender and vanilla are the perfect balance of sweet and floral.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey (optional but makes a smoother texture)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup caramel sauce (optional, if you want to copy the flavors of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food)
Make the Custard
- Set a metal strainer over a large bowl and set it aside for later.
- Place the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, corn syrup (if using), and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the mixture is hot and comes to a gentle simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add 4 ounces of chopped chocolate, stirring until the chocolate melts.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium size bowl.
- Pour about ½ cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks while constantly whisking. This step will temper or gently warm the eggs so they don’t turn into scrambled eggs.
- Now pour the tempered egg mixture into the hot milk, whisking constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 5 to 8 minutes until it thickens slightly. If you have an instant-read thermometer, it should read 180°F. If you don't have an instant-read thermometer, look for the mixture to be steamy hot (but not boiling) and thick enough to leave a trail when you run your finger across a spatula.
- Pour the mixture through a metal strainer and discard any lumps.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or until chilled.
Churn the Ice Cream
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions for churning ice cream.
- When the ice cream is the consistency of soft serve, stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Zap the marshmallow fluff in the microwave in 10-second increments until it is thin enough to pour. It should be about the consistency of honey.
- Pour half of the chocolate ice cream into a loaf pan. Spoon half of the marshmallow fluff and half of the caramel syrup over the ice cream, then swirl it around with a knife.
- Top with the rest of the ice cream, then swirl in the rest of the marshmallow fluff and caramel syrup.
- Press plastic wrap over the top of the ice cream and place it in the freezer for 6 to 8 hours.
The corn syrup helps reduce ice crystals and makes a smoother, creamier ice cream. If you are not a fan of using corn syrup, honey will give you similar results.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 623Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 323mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 2gSugar: 74gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.