Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. Really do I need to say more? These cupcakes are AMAZING and you need to make them, eat them, share them, and repeat!
These cupcakes are insanely rich and luscious. The cake has a soft, tender texture and the frosting is creamy, smooth and perfectly sweetened. The combination is irresistible. Top it with a mini Reese’s peanut butter cup and you have perfection in a portable, hand-held dessert.
I used my Intense Chocolate Cake recipe and added the batter to a standard size cupcake pan then adjusted the baking time. If you line the cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners, the cakes will lift right out and you will have the perfect portable dessert.
I used a Wilton star tip number 4B to swirl on the frosting. If you don’t have a decorating tip or decorating bags, you can put the frosting in a ziplock bag and cut a small section of the corner off. It’s much quicker than spreading the frosting with a knife.
If you forget to pull them out of the fridge before starting this recipe then you can speed the softening time by dicing them up into small cubes, cover them with a towel and let them sit on the counter while you bake the cupcakes.
You can also use the microwave to soften them quickly but be careful with this technique because you can reach the melting point pretty quickly, especially with butter.
If you do use the microwave to soften them, use quick bursts and check on them every 3 to 5 seconds
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Shots
- Black Forrest Cherry Cake
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Layer Cake
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
If you make one of our recipes, snap a photo and tag it @savorthebest on Instagram and hashtag it #savorthebest
Have you made these chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below and tell us what or who you made them for.
- 1 cup (80g) cocoa
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 cups sugar (400g)
- 1 ¾ cup (254g) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 36 Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the hot coffee and cocoa together until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a whisk, blend and sift the ingredients together.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, and the cocoa mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds until the dry ingredients are moist. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and beat for another minute. The batter will be thin.
- Fill the cupcake tins just over half full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the cupcake tins for 5 to 10 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine the cream cheese, peanut butter and butter in a medium size mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Stop the mixer once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the milk, vanilla and salt. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and blend on very low speed or by hand until the sugar is absorbed. If you start the mixer too fast you will create a sugar-dust cloud in the kitchen.
- Increase the speed to medium high and blend 2 to 3 minutes until smooth. Stop the mixer part way through to scrape down the sides.
- Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes with a knife or use a decorator bag or a ziplock bag to pipe it on.
- Garnish with a mini Reese’s peanut butter cup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 202 Total Fat 12.2g Carbohydrates 22g Protein 3.9g