This Double Chocolate Mug Cake is moist, easy to make, and incredibly chocolatey as you would hope and expect! The key to this fudgy cake is using both chopped chocolate and cocoa for extra flavor and richness.
The entire recipe comes together in a mug and cooks within minutes in the microwave. This is the recipe you need to curb your craving for sweets in a hurry. What’s not to love?
Keep this recipe bookmarked for all those times you get a late-night craving for chocolate cake but you only want a single serving.
Why you will love this double chocolate mug cake
Mug cakes are all the rage, but our double chocolate mug cake recipe is a real winner. Here’s why we know you’ll like it:
- The recipe calls for both chopped chocolate and cocoa for extra fudginess.
- Prep is incredibly easy and you can mix it right in the mug.
- The chocolate cake cooks in under 2 minutes in the microwave or you can bake it in a standard oven.
- The recipe is versatile and translates to a batter for 4 cupcakes!
Ingredients needed for double chocolate mug cake
Gather the following ingredients:
- Chopped chocolate or mini chocolate chips. The chocolate gets melted and incorporated into the batter.
- Butter. If you use salted butter then you can get away with omitting the additional pinch of salt.
- Sugar. Aside from adding sweetness, sugar is important for the structure and texture of the cake.
- Milk. You can substitute sour cream, yogurt, or dairy-free milk.
- Vanilla. A small splash of vanilla enhances the flavors in the cake.
- Egg yolk. A whole egg is too much for the small amount of batter in this recipe but one egg yolk is perfect. The egg yolk makes a tremendous difference in the texture and structure of the cake.
- Flour. Regular all-purpose
- Unsweetened cocoa powder. Between the cocoa powder and the melted chocolate, this cake is guaranteed to satisfy your chocolate craving.
- Baking powder. It only takes 1/4 teaspoon but it helps the batter rise into a light and tender cake.
- Salt. A small pinch of salt will enhance the chocolate flavor but too much will ruin the cake. Don’t use more than 1/8 teaspoon of salt. If you use salted butter you can skip the salt.
How to make this chocolate mug cake
Making a double chocolate mug cake is incredibly simple! Here are the steps:
- Microwave the chopped chocolate and butter in a mug in 15-second intervals, until melted.
- Stir in the sugar, milk, and vanilla then add the egg yolk.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Fluff them with a fork to distribute the ingredients then stir into the wet mixture.
- Microwave until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips for recipe success
To ensure you make the perfect double chocolate mug cake, keep the following tips in mind.
- Use a 12 to 16-ounce mug. It should be able to hold at least 1-1/2 cups of liquid.
- If you are using a short and wide mug (like a soup mug), reduce the cooking time by 10 to 25 seconds.
- You can bake your mug cake in the oven if you wish! Make sure you use an oven-safe mug. The details are in the printable recipe card.
- Different microwaves vary in power so you may need to adjust the cooking time. Start at the lowest suggested time. Test the cake for doneness with a toothpick and add a few seconds if it is not done yet.
Frequently asked questions
Can you bake a mug cake in the oven?
Yes. To bake in the oven, preheat the oven to 350°F. Use an ovenproof mug. Bake for 26 to 30 minutes if you are using a standard mug. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes if you are using a wide soup mug.
This recipe for double chocolate mug cake also translates to 4 standard size cupcakes! Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. You can also bake the cupcakes in the microwave if you have silicone cupcake liners.
Can you prepare mug cakes in advance?
You can bake mug cakes in advance but since they are so small, they tend to dry out quickly. A better option is to mix your dry ingredients in advance and store them in a jar or plastic bag. It will shave some time off of your prep work.
Is it safe to eat mug cakes?
It is safe to eat mug cakes! The microwave is powerful enough to fully cook your mug cake. You can poke a skewer into your cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Do mug cakes actually work?
Microwave mug cakes do work! Simply follow the recipe and be careful not to overcook your cake so it stays moist.
Why are some mug cakes chewy?
Chewy mug cakes are a result of overcooking the batter in the microwave or incorporating too much liquid. Start with the minimum cooking time, test the doneness, and zap for a few more seconds as needed.
The cooking time will vary based on your personal microwave. If your mug cake comes out tough and chewy, reduce the cooking time next time you make it.
How do you store mug cakes?
Mug cakes baked in your microwave should be enjoyed immediately, while fresh. Any food cooked in the microwave will dry out if it is left out for too long. As such, it is not recommended that you make your mug cake in advance. It is best when made to order.
This mug cake will stay moist a little longer than most mug cakes because it has an egg yolk in the batter. The egg yolk makes a tremendous difference in the moisture and tenderness of the cake.
How do you serve a double chocolate mug cake?
The beauty of mug cakes is that you can serve them right from the mug! No slicing or plating necessary. You can add whipped cream, ice cream, or your favorite nut butter as a topping if you wish. This double chocolate mug cake is delicious on its own as well.
Can I use hot cocoa mix?
This recipe has been developed specifically using unsweetened cocoa powder. If you substitute hot cocoa mix then it will change the ratio of sugar to chocolate and the cake will not turn out the same.
Some of the following links are affiliates. If you click on these links and purchase something, we may receive a small commission. You don’t pay any extra but it will help us keep the lights on.
- Microwave proof mug.
- Silicone baking cups if you want to make microwavable cupcakes.
- Measuring spoons.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
This chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream is makes the best birthday cake. It is an easy, one-bowl recipe that you will want to make on repeat.
This mint chocolate loaf cake is perfectly sized for a smaller group. Bake it in a loaf pan for a simple way to serve it.
This flourless chocolate cake is more like a truffle cake. It is rich, dense, and super decadent.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 tablespoon chopped chocolate or mini chocolate chips (1/2 ounce chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Combine the chopped chocolate and butter in a mug. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring between intervals until melted.
- Stir in the sugar. Add milk and vanilla and stir until well combined. Make sure the mixture isn’t too hot then stir in the egg yolk.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Fluff the flour mixture with a fork to distribute the dry ingredients then stir it into the wet mixture.
- Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds.
- Use a 10 to 12-ounce mug. If your mug is short and wide (like a soup mug) then you will need to decrease the cooking time by 10 to 25 seconds.
- This recipe will also make 4 standard-sized cupcakes. You can fill four microwaveable silicone cupcake holders and microwave for 1 minute to 1 minute 25 seconds for the cupcakes.
- If you want to bake the mug cake in the oven, preheat the oven to 350°F. A standard mug will take 26 to 30 minutes to bake. A wide soup mug will take 22 to 25 minutes. Standard sized cupcakes will take 15 to 18 minutes in the oven.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of a mug cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 126mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.