This Mint Chocolate Loaf Cake has a double dose of chocolate, plus it is spiked with mint extract for a lovely taste sensation! Our moist, fudgy, chocolate loaf cake is a cinch to bake, too! Let’s just say it might easily become your favorite go-to dessert when you need a quick, sweet treat!
Who doesn’t love chocolate cake!?! According to a recent survey, chocolate cake is the KING of cakes and America’s most popular cake. No surprise there, right? I don’t think it’s possible for me to turn down a slice of chocolate cake, and it makes no difference if it’s triple-layer, round, square, sheet, or this rich decadent loaf cake. We love ’em all!
why you’ll love this chocolate cake
This mint chocolate loaf cake is a sensational combination of flavors and textures: chocolate, mint, tender and moist. It’s everything you need a chocolate cake to be!
- fudgy and moist
- a simple recipe that’s easy to make
- a flexible treat– dress it up as a decadent dessert or enjoy it as an anytime-of-day snacking cake (no judgment here!)
let’s make one!
Start by gathering your ingredients. The list is short and simple and you likely already have many of the items already. (On a related note, check out our list of shelf stable foods to stock up on!).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- vanilla extract
- mint extract
- sour cream
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
For all the details on how to whip up this sensational mint chocolate loaf cake, scroll to the bottom of the page. But here’s a quick summary of the process:
- Prepare your pan – We use a standard 9×5-inch loaf pan for this recipe. You’ll want to coat it with non-stick spray and line it with a long strip of parchment paper that’s also sprayed with oil. Make sure the ends of paper are extended.
- Make the cake batter- Combine the wet ingredients, then combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake the mint chocolate loaf cake- Pour the cake batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake- When the cake is done baking, transfer it from the oven and set it on a wire cooling rack. Once it’s cool, use the parchment paper overhang ends to gently lift the cake from the pan.
for the best chocolate cake results
This mint chocolate loaf cake recipe is easy enough to follow (and I promise, you’ll love it), but we have a few tidbits of advice to ensure you get the best results!
- Prepping the loaf pan with an overhanging strip of parchment paper is the easiest way to remove the cake from the pan once it’s cool. No need for tipping and no more concerns about your cake sticking! Just pull on those little parchment wings, and lift it out!
- You can substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream.
- Try not to overmix the batter when you’re combining the wet and dry ingredients. Mix only until the flour is blended.
- Since oven temps vary, begin checking the cake for doneness at 45 minutes.
So simple, so chocolate-y, so yummy. Certain to be a hit.
If you make this mint chocolate loaf cake, let us know your thoughts! And another friendly piece of culinary advice – a cup of coffee and a dollop of homemade whipped cream to go with this sweet treat is strongly advised. 😉
Happy baking (and eating)!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- If you love chocolate cake as much as we do, get your full chocolate cake recipe fix here! How about a classic chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream? Or a gluten-free chocolate cake? Or if you’re short on ingredients right now, this wacky chocolate cake might just be the recipe you need.
- Crunchy, crispy, and delightfully “spring,” this Kimchee Slaw is a refreshing salad with a fusion of flavors! Vibrant veggies in a sweet and sour vinaigrette will brighten up your day.
- How do you like your veggies? Sautéed? Raw? Salad style? How about as a “steak”? Give me this Roasted Cauliflower Steak with chimichurri sauce any day of the week! It’s delightfully tasty and a wonderful vegetarian main dish too!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick oil spray and line with a long strip of parchment paper with ends of paper extended. Coat parchment paper with oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar and milk. Stir in the eggs, vanilla and mint extract, add the sour cream and stir until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, whisk together. Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out with a few crumbs.
- Transfer from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. When cool, use the parchment paper overhang ends to lift the cake from the pan.
- Prepping the loaf pan with an overhanging strip of parchment paper is ideal for removing the cake from the pan. There is no need to tip the cake out of the pan.
- Greek yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream.
- When adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients be careful to not overmix the batter. Mix only until the flour is blended and no white streaks show.
- Oven temps are not always the same, begin checking the cake for doneness at 45 minutes and remove when a toothpick or cake tester comes out with just a few crumbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- U-Taste 10 Piece Measuring Cups and Spoons Set in 18/8 Stainless Steel
- HERSHEY'S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 12 Ounce
- Pure Vanilla Extract, Certified Organic
- HERSHEY'S Natural Unsweetened 100% Cocoa, Baking supplies and Beverage Mix Gluten Free, 8 Ounce Can (Pack of 6)
- Parchment Paper Sheets - 200-Count Precut Unbleached Parchment Paper for Baking, Half Sheet Pans, Non-Stick Baking Sheet Paper, Brown, 12 x 16 Inches
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.