Tomato soup is one of my comfort foods and this variation of tomato-basil soup is so delicious and satisfying. It is thick with crushed tomatoes and lots of basil and if served with a grilled cheese sandwich it can be your entire meal.
When I was growing up my mom canned a lot of tomatoes in the summer when they were ripe and plentiful. One of the good things she made with them through the following year was tomato soup.
She would empty a couple jars into a pan, smash them with the potato masher, add salt and pepper, heat it up, add some butter and milk and serve it with a nice grilled cheese sandwich.
I have opened many cans of good ole’ Campbell’s® tomato soup in my time but there is just nothing that tastes as good as a bowl of homemade tomato soup.
Tomato soup is very versatile and easy to make. This adapted version of tomato-basil soup is from my Soup Bible cookbook and, for a few more calories, you can add a little heavy cream for a smooth and creamy version.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth (canned is ok)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderate heat and add the onions and carrots. Cook just until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon or potato masher. Stir in the chicken broth, basil and parsley. Bring to a boil then reduce to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the soup to the food processor or blender, in batches and do not over fill the container. Puree the soup to a thick consistency. Return the soup to the soup pot and reheat,
- taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve piping hot with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Amount Per ServingCalories 54 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 3mg Sodium 501mg Carbohydrates 5g Fiber 1g Sugar 3g Protein 1g