It’s summertime and the living is easy….and this Strawberry Pie with Chocolate Teff Crust is super easy to make. The chocolate teff pie crust has a deep chocolate flavor that is so complimentary with the fresh strawberry filling.
You will love the flavor of this strawberry pie which is made from fresh-picked strawberries. These sweet berries are heaped into a pastry crust made with teff flour and have a dollop of fluffy whipped cream on top.
What is Teff ?
Teff is an ancient grain/seed that hales from Ethiopia where it has been enjoyed for centuries. It is a small grain about the size of a poppy seed that grows in a variety of colors, white red and brown.
If you have ever visited an Ethiopian restaurant I am sure you have been served injera, which is the Ethiopian traditional flatbread. Injera is made by combining teff flour and water and letting it ferment for several days. It is then poured into a pan and cooked like a crepe except it is spongy and full of holes appearing almost like a brown lace doily.
We added cocoa powder to our teff flour to make this fresh strawberry pie with chocolate teff crust.
How is teff flour made?
Teff flour is made by milling the tiny teff seed, which it is claimed to be the smallest seed known to man. It is also so small that it is too difficult to hybridize and is still in it’s God-given natural state. Teff flour is available in both brown and white seeds and can be found in grocery stores with the Bob’s Red Mill products, health food stores or online.
Is Teff flour gluten-free?
Yes! Teff is gluten-free!
Since we use teff in this recipe you will have a gluten-free pie crust. As a matter of fact the whole pie will be gluten-free because we do not thicken the strawberry pie filling with flour. The pie filling is thickened with cornstarch which is also gluten-free.
Because it lacks gluten, the chocolate pastry crust in our recipe is not a flakey pastry crust but is more like a chocolate shortbread pastry crust.
Delicious, to be sure! This is an easy, press-in, no-roll pastry crust that bakes in just 12 minutes. It is filled with fresh strawberries, covered with a strawberry glaze and served with a mound of sweet whipped cream.
How To Make Strawberry Pie with Chocolate Teff Crust:
First, grab your basket and run out to your strawberry patch and pick some super-fresh, super-ripe strawberries! Just kidding…but that would be nice wouldn’t it!
Strawberry Pie with Chocolate Teff Crust:
A food processor is a great tool and time saver for this easy mix and press pastry crust but it can be made by blending together with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, egg and oil to the food processor and pulse until mixed.
- Add the water and pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pie plate and press over the sides and bottom of the plate.
- Prick the dough with a fork, line with parchment paper and fill with pastry weights. Bake for 10-minutes then cool on a wire rack and remove the parchment paper and pastry weights before filling.
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Reserve 4 of the pint baskets for the pie.
- Add 1 pint of strawberries to the blender and purée then transfer to a saucepan with the water. Boil the mix for 2-minutes then strain through a sieve.
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small dish and stir into the strawberry mixture. Cook and stir until the sauce is thick and clear.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the red coloring if you are using it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the bottom of the pie crust. Arrange half of the whole strawberries, stem end down, in the pie crust.
- Carefully spoon half of the remaining glaze over berries, covering each berry.
- Arrange remaining berries, stem end down, atop first layer; spoon on remaining glaze, covering each berry.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and chill the pie at least 3 to 4 hours until firm.
To Serve the strawberry pie with chocolate teff crust:
When ready to serve, prepare a batch of whipped cream. You can cover the pie completely with the whipped cream, cut and serve. Or, another option and my favorite is to cut the pie into slices and place on serving dishes then add a fluffy cloud of whipped cream to each serving
I remember a time when strawberries were only available in the summertime but in these modern days they are available fresh all year long, giving us a chance to enjoy this fantastically delicious fresh strawberry pie with chocolate teff crust anytime we want. Enjoy!
This is a great recipe for gluten-free strawberry pie. If you are not concerned with the gluten, you could use the strawberry pie filling in a store-bought crust. We think you will enjoy the gluten-free chocolate teff crust though. The teff flour has a mild earthy flavor that compliments chocolate and strawberries wonderfully.
You might also like:
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the pie crust
- 1-1/4 cups (185g) teff flour
- 1/4 cup (20g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
For the Strawberry Filling:
- 5-pint baskets of fresh medium strawberries, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 to 5 drops red food coloring (optional)
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
For the Pie Crust:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F - grease or coat with cooking oil spray, a 9-inch pie plate.
- Put the teff flour, cocoa powder, egg, sugar, salt and oil in the food processor and pulse until thoroughly mixed. Add the water gradually until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pie plate and using the back of a spoon or your fingers, press the dough to the sides of the pie plate, then press and smooth the remaining dough to the bottom.
- Prick the dough with a fork on the bottom and sides, add parchment paper or foil to cover the pastry and add pastry weights or beans. Transfer to the oven and blind bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before filling.
Make the glaze and assemble the pie:
- Wash and hull the strawberries, reserve 4 baskets of strawberries until needed. Add 1 basket of the prepared berries to a blender or food processor and puree. Transfer the pureed berries to a small pot and add the water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Sieve the berry mixture, discarding the residue.
- In a sauce pan, combine the sugar and cornstarch and stir in the sieved berry mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until glaze has thickened and is clear.
- Remove from heat and stir in the food coloring, if using.
- Spread about 1/4 cup glaze over the bottom and sides of the pastry shell. Arrange half of the whole berries, fat end down, in the pastry shell. Carefully spoon half of the remaining glaze over the berries, covering each berry. Arrange the remaining berries, fat end down, on top of the first layer; spoon on the remaining glaze, covering each berry. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill the pie for at least 3 to 4 hours until firm. When ready to serve prepare the whipped cream.
For the Whipped Cream:
- Place a metal mixing bowl and the metal whisk attachment into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and sugar to the mixing bowl and whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Refrigerate until ready to serve the pie.
- A food processor is a great tool and time saver for this easy mix and press pastry crust but it can be made by blending together with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Be sure to prick the bottom and sides of the unbaked crust before baking to allow for any air to escape.
- You can also freeze the unbaked pie crust then mold a piece of aluminum foil that has been coated with non-stick oil spray tightly against the crust, oiled side down, fill with the pie weights and bake.
- The whipped cream can be made up to 4 hours in advance by adding 1 tablespoon of sour cream to the cream and sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 10gSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 62gSugar: 40gProtein: 3g