Don had a birthday gift card to a great restaurant in Tacoma, WA and we took advantage of it last week. What a great dining experience! While waiting for our entree we sipped a glass of white wine and shared an appetizer of smoked salmon spread on toasted sourdough bread. It was delicious!
As I munched on this yummy goodness of an appetizer I took mental notes of the ingredients. What I tasted was chopped green scallions, finely diced red sweet pepper, minced fresh dill, capers and a bit of cream cheese to bind it together.
A microplane zester is an indispensable tool in the kitchen. It has extremely small holes so you truly get a very fine zest when you grate it across the lemon peel. It is a great way to get perfect lemon zest in this dish.
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained & rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- zest of one lemon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium-size bowl, add the salmon, garlic, scallions, red bell pepper, capers and the dill. Toss to combine.
- In a small dish, mix the cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice and the olive oil. Stir into the salmon mixture and combine well.
- Serve with toasted sourdough rounds.
Amount Per ServingCalories 40 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 7mg Sodium 221mg Carbohydrates 1g Fiber 0g Sugar 0g Protein 2g