This Instant Pot meatloaf is a delicious and easy dinner, made extra simple and quick with the Instant Pot and onion soup mix! The high-pressure cooking means this all-beef meatloaf is ready in about half the time it normally takes. Know what that means? Instant Pot meatloaf with onion soup mix just became our new best friend. 😉
why we love Instant Pot meatloaf
Meatloaf brings a certain homey feeling- it’s that classic meat-and-potatoes dish that’s reminiscent of an earlier era. Maybe for you, it’s childhood. Or maybe you still have it on a regular basis.
We are big fans of this simple comfort food meal and have shared a few variations of it here on Savor the Best (check out this pork and beef meatloaf or this flavorful onion soup meatloaf recipe). However, the Instant Pot brings a new level of simplicity and ease to this dish! Here’s why we love it:
- it’s flavorful (thanks to the onion soup mix), super tender and juicy due to the high-pressure cooking
- this meatloaf only cooks for about 30 minutes
- prep time is quick- ready for cooking in under 10 minutes!
- it has a delicious, sweet glaze that’s quick to make
let’s make meatloaf in the Instant Pot!
To make this Instant Pot meatloaf with onion soup mix, here are the eight ingredients you’ll need:
- bread crumbs
- whole milk
- ketchup (for the meatloaf and the glaze)
- onion soup mix (1 packet of store-bought or three tablespoons of our homemade onion soup mix)
- ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar
This is such a simple recipe and you’ll be thrilled when you see just how quick and easy it all comes together! Here’s the gist of it but make sure to check out the full recipe for all the ingredient amounts and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the page!
- Mix the meat- Pour the milk and breadcrumbs into a large mixing bowl and let it sit for 1-2 minutes so the bread can absorb the milk. Add the eggs, ketchup, onion soup mix, and ground beef. Mix it up until it’s well combined.
- Shape the meatloaf- Create an aluminum foil bowl to hold the meatloaf (we use the inside of the Instant Pot as a guide). Make sure the sides of the foil bowl are at least 1-inch tall to hold all the juice and grease. Tip the meat mixture into the foil bowl and shape it into a loaf.
- Cook- Set the meatloaf on the Instant Pot rack and use the handles to lower it into the cooker. Combine the glaze ingredients and brush half the glaze on top of the meat. Secure the lid, seal the valve, and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Glaze- Let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure manually. Suction the grease out of the foil bowl with a bulb baster and transfer the meatloaf to a baking sheet. Spread the rest of the glaze on top of the meatloaf and broil for 5 minutes so the glaze gets sticky.
all our meatloaf pro tips
Despite meatloaf being such an easy dish to make, there are common questions you might have run into yourself in all your meatloaf-making days.
Can you put aluminum foil in instant pot? Absolutely! And we definitely recommend it for this recipe. You won’t want to skip making the foil bowl or you’ll end up with a giant, meat-y mess.
How do you drain fat from meat loaf? The fat will drain on its own as the meatloaf cooks in the Instant Pot. It will pool inside the foil bowl and we use a bulb baster to suction it out when the meatloaf is done cooking. Easy!
Now that you’ve made this delicious and tender Instant Pot meatloaf with onion soup mix, what will you serve with it? That’s the harder decision to make… (For inspiration, check out all of our side recipes)!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Instant Pot Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes are creamy, fluffy and flavorful- mashed potato perfection! Plus, you’ll want to hear the special, time-saving trick we use to make these (possibly my favorite thing about using the Instant Pot).
- Our Roasted Brussels Sprouts with balsamic make an elegant side dish! Roasting caramelizes the Brussels sprouts and a drizzling of aged balsamic give them a touch of tangy sweetness.
- This Coconut Cake with Coconut Buttercream Frosting is tender and soft, and divinely coconut-y. The perfect cake for any gathering!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the meatloaf:
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Add the breadcrumbs and milk to a bowl. Let it sit for a minute or two until the bread absorbs the milk.
- Add the eggs, ketchup, onion soup mix, and ground beef. Mix until combined well.
- Create a foil bowl to hold the meatloaf. I used the inner pot as a guide to get the foil the right shape. Next, I folded the edges inward to make it smaller than the IP pot. Make sure the sides of the foil bowl are at least 1 inch tall to hold in the juices and grease.
- Tip the meatloaf mixture into the foil bowl and shape it into a loaf.
- Place the meatloaf on top of the rack that comes with the Instant Pot. Use the handles of the rack to lower it into the Instant Pot.
- Combine the ingredients for the glaze then brush half of the glaze on top of the meatloaf.
- Secure the lid and place the valve in the sealed position.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes then release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Use a bulb baster to suction all the grease of the foil bowl then transfer the meatloaf to a baking sheet.
- Spread the rest of the glaze on the meatloaf and broil it for 5 minutes to get the glaze sticky.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, 50 Square Feet ~ 2 Pack
- Kaycrown Turkey Baster Set of 4, Commerical Grade Quality FDA Silicone Bulb Including Meat arinade Injector Needle with Barbecue Basting Brush And Cleaning Brush For Easy Clean Up
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 373mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.