I think there’s a very strong possibility that homemade mashed potatoes are the actual definition of comfort food, which makes these Instant Pot buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes pure comfort food EXCELLENCE.
They’re creamy, fluffy, and taste like perfection thanks to the buttermilk and ranch combination.
Even better, the Instant Pot makes mashed potatoes unbelievably EASY. Plus, we’re sharing a simple potato prepping trick that will save you even more time!
Preparing the potatoes
Do you usually peel the potato skins before mashing? I know some people prefer skins-on, but silky smooth and creamy mashed potatoes require no skins in our book!
Here’s the thing about the Instant Pot: you don’t have to peel the potatoes before cooking. In fact, you don’t even have to cut them.
The Instant Pot cooks the potatoes whole, then you can slide the skins right off before mashing. Incredible, right? We think so too.
Let’s make buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes
Our Instant Pot buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes are creamy, smooth, and extra rich, thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and butter. YUM.
To make these easy mashed potatoes, you will need:
- potatoes, scrubbed clean
- sour cream
- Ranch seasoning mix
- green onions (or chives)
Here’s how to make them (but don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the full recipe!):
- Prepare the potatoes- Use a sharp knife to make a couple of punctures in each of the scrubbed potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes- Pour the water into the pressure cooker, place the wire insert inside, then stack the potatoes on top of the rack. Cook on high pressure for 18 to 28 minutes (this will vary based on the size of potatoes you use — all the details are in the recipe below!).
- Remove from Instant Pot. Release the pressure from the Instant Pot. Remove the potatoes and let them cool slightly. Remove the rack and water from the Instant Pot.
- Mash the potatoes- Slide the skin off of the potatoes and place them back inside the Instant Pot. Add the butter, buttermilk, sour cream and ranch seasoning. Mash the potatoes with a masher or electric hand mixer. Taste and adjust. Top with green onions and butter, if desired.
recipe tips and tricks
As we mentioned above, the cooking times will vary depending on the size of potatoes you use. Here’s a breakdown of what works best for these Instant Pot mashed potatoes:
- Small potatoes – 18 minutes
- Medium potatoes – 22 minutes
- Large potatoes – 28 minutes
Also, please do not forget to puncture the potatoes with a knife before cooking! We like to make 2-3 punctures in each potato to prevent the potatoes from exploding when they cook (this sounds extreme and the chances of this occurring are low, but it really can happen!).
There you have it- Instant Pot buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes! So creamy, rich, and flavorful – it’s delicious enough to plan a whole meal around!
And here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this delicious side dish:
- Serve it alongside our Instant Pot Tri Tip and Vegetables! There’s nothing like a classic meat-and-potatoes dinner, and this one will be a hit with the whole family.
- Have you tried our Sous Vide Ribeye Steak yet? It’s a great way to get your ribeye to the perfect temperature, and these buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes would pair wonderfully!
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs with our buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes are truly a match made in heaven. 🙂 I know you’ll think so, too!
I hope you love these buttermilk ranch mashed potatoes as much as we do! It’s an incredible side dish, it’s kid-friendly, and it’s just good, old-fashioned comfort food at its best!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a go-to casserole recipe for us, mainly because it’s the best combination of flavors and is ALWAYS a loved dish at the dinner table.
- Cheesy Shrimp and Grits are a cajun-style comfort food dish made with a spicy Creole sauce! Flavorful and a lovely combination of textures!
- Country style pork ribs in the oven, aka our foolproof recipe to getting the most perfectly tender, fall-off-the-bone pork ribs!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3 to 4 pounds potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 packet Ranch seasoning mix
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (or a small bunch of chives)
- Use a sharp knife to make 2 to 3 punctures in each of the potatoes.
- Pour the water into the pressure cooker and place the wire rack insert inside the pot.
- Stack the whole, unpeeled potatoes on top of the rack.
- Secure the lid and place the valve in the sealed position.
- Cook on high pressure for 18 to 28 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes (see notes).
- Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes then release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and let them cool slightly so you can handle them. Remove the rack and pour the water out of the Instant Pot.
- Slide the skin off the potatoes and return them to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add the melted butter, buttermilk, sour cream, and ranch seasoning.
- Use a potato masher or electric hand mixer to mash the mixture. Do not over-mix.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Add additional sour cream or buttermilk if you want the mashed potatoes thinner.
- Top with green onions or chives and additional butter.
Cooking times for different potato sizes:
- Small potatoes (7 to 10 ounces) 18 minutes
- Medium potatoes (11 to 14 ounces) 22 minutes
- Large potatoes (15 to 17 ounces) 28 minutes
Make a couple of punctures in each of the potatoes so they do not explode when they cook. The odds of it happening are probably low but it really can happen.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 332mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.