Here is a hearty, flavorful meat lasagna recipe layered with sausage and beef tomato sauce and a blend of cheese. The creamy cheese layer in this meat lasagna is a blend of cottage cheese and ricotta mixed with freshly chopped herbs. This dinner meal is bound to be a family favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Classic Meat Lasagna Recipe
Homemade lasagna is a dish that often found its place on our table when our kids were growing up. It was relatively inexpensive, easy to make, and there would always be a lot of it and some leftover for lunchtime.
This beef and sausage lasagna is a delicious, meaty main course that only needs a green salad to complete the meal. It is also a great dish for a large crowd or potluck!
Still not convinced? Here’s why you’ll love it:
- Prep time can be done in under 30 minutes.
- This lasagna recipe is packed full of protein from beef and sausage.
- It’s very versatile.
- There’s enough for leftovers or even meal prepped lunches!
Ingredients Needed For Beef Sausage Lasagna
To make this delicious dinner recipe, these are the ingredients you will need:
- Lasagna noodles
- Onions (diced)
- Celery ribs (diced)
- Garlic cloves (minced)
- Ground beef
- Ground pork sausage
- Onion powder, dried oregano, and dried sage
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste
- Cheese: Cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, Ricotta cheese, and shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil and parsley leaves (chopped)
- Large eggs
How To Make Lasagna With Meat Sauce
This lasagna does have a lot of ingredients but, they give this recipe all of its amazing flavor. We’ve listed out the basic instructions below to give you an idea of how easy it is to make this delicious beef and sausage lasagna with creamy cheeses!
Note: Make sure not to skip the full printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. There, you’ll find all of the ingredient amounts and details you’ll need.
- Cook the noodles: In a well-salted water pot, boil the lasagna noodles and cook for 6-7 minutes. Remove the pasta from the water and lay flat on a tray to cool.
- Make the meat sauce: In a large saucepan, cook the onion, celery, and garlic. Add in the ground beef and sausage and cook until brown. Next, add oregano, onion powder, sage, salt, and red pepper. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make cheese mixture: In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, parmesan, ricotta, basil, parsley, and eggs.
- Layer the lasagna: Add some of the meat sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish. Next, add a layer of cooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Spread 1/2 of cottage cheese mixture over noodles followed by more of the meat sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat these layers one more time and top off the whole dish with leftover sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cook and serve: Bake the lasagna for 50 to 60 minutes until it’s hot and bubbly. Let it cool before slicing!
Tip: If the edges of the lasagna brown too fast, cover with tin foil.
What To Serve With Meat Lasagna Recipe For Dinner
When I make lasagna for dinner, I like to bake some of my crunchy garlic bread and it pairs perfectly with this dish! I highly recommend scooping up any leftover sauce with a slice of buttery garlic bread. You can also make some of this garlic and herb focaccia bread for variety!
Frequently Asked Questions About Meat Lasagna
When putting together this lasagna recipe with meat sauce, we came across a couple of frequently asked questions we wanted to answer.
Do you have to boil the lasagna noodles before adding them to this dish?
In this specific recipe, we do boil the noodles before adding them as a layer in the casserole dish.
It really depends on the type of lasagna noodles you buy. I would keep an eye on the box you purchase. It will usually say “no-boil” if you don’t need to cook them beforehand.
Can I make this lasagna recipe vegetarian?
Yes! Instead of using beef and sausage, you can swap it out for a plant-based meat substitute such as Beyond Meat. You can also load up on vegetables for the filling like spinach, zucchini, or mushrooms.
Can I use a store-bought jar of sauce?
I used some of my homemade tomato, basil, and garlic sauce but, if time is an issue, a good store-bought pasta sauce works as well!
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love:
- Fresh Vegetable Lasagna With Homemade Spelt Noodles
- Creamy Chicken Lasagna With Einkorn Noodles
- Beef and sausage meatballs
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- ½ box lasagna noodles, about 12 wide noodles
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pounds ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork sausage
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce (or 1 ¾ cup of Tomato, Basil and Garlic Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 5 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 6-7 minutes. Remove the pasta from the water and lay flat on a tray to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine onion, celery and garlic, cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Add the ground beef and sausage and cook 5-6 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks, drain the fat off.
- Add oregano, onion powder, sage, salt and red pepper. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, ricotta, basil, parsley and eggs.
- Poor 1 ½ cups of meat sauce into bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Place 4 lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Spread 1/2 of cottage cheese mixture over noodles, top with 1/3 of sauce and 1/3 mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once more then top the last layer of noodles with the remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until hot and bubbly. If the edges of the lasagna brown too fast, cover with tin foil.
- Let cool 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 606Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 982mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
This post was originally published on October 1, 2014. We updated the photos but left one of the original photos below.