Joe’s Special is an easy one-pan breakfast scramble that is full of protein and fiber to keep you filled and satisfied all morning.
What is Joe’s Special?
This recipe is essentially a spinach, beef and egg hash that makes a hearty and filling breakfast. Although it was originally served as a breakfast, this recipe makes a great meal any time of the day.
Joe’s Special is a low carbohydrate, high protein breakfast hash that originated in the 1920’s in San Fransisco. Although the restaurant, New Joes, is no longer around, the popular breakfast hash has not lost its appeal.
As a matter of fact, this dish might be even more popular with our modern-day low carb diets such as Paleo, Ketogenic, and Atkins lifestyles. If you aren’t worried about keeping it low carb, this breakfast hash is great served with a crusty slice of sourdough bread.
How we make Joe’s Special
We cooked this breakfast scramble in one pan and it could not have been easier.
First, heat some oil in a hot skillet and add a chopped onion. Cook the onion until it is soft then add the garlic. By adding the garlic after the onion is sufficiently cooked, you will eliminate the risk of burning the garlic.
Next throw in the ground beef and seasonings. Stir the beef and break it up while it cooks. If the beef had a lot of fat, you will want to drain off the grease once it is cooked.
After the beef is cooked thoroughly, toss in the fresh spinach and stir just until it is wilted. Push the beef and spinach mixture to the sides of the skillet, making space in the pan to cook the eggs. Pour the eggs directly into the skillet and stir them around until they are set.
Once the eggs are set, fold the egg and beef mixture into the scrambled eggs then serve it while it is still hot. This spinach, beef and egg hash will not disappoint.
Some delicious variations:
- Replace the ground beef with low-fat ground turkey.
- Replace half of the beef with ground sausage.
- Stir in some crumbled bacon bits.
- Melt some cheddar cheese on top.
Some other breakfasts you might enjoy:
- Veggie Quinoa Egg Muffins
- Asparagus-Ham and Gouda Breakfast Strata
- Spinach-Gouda Quiche with Quinoa Crust
Joe's Special Breakfast Hash
Yield 4-6 servings
Joe’s Special is an easy one-pan breakfast scramble that is full of protein and fiber to keep you filled and satisfied all morning. It is a low carb, high protein breakfast that is prepared in one pan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red or yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a large skillet then cook the onion until it is soft. Add the garlic and heat for 30 more seconds.
- Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Stir the meat while it cooks to break it up. Drain off the fat.
- Stir in the spinach and cook just until it wilts.
- Push the spinach and beef mixture to the sides of the skillet to make room to cook the eggs. Add the eggs and nutmeg. Stir and cook until the eggs are set.
Try replacing half of the ground beef with ground sausage for a delicious option.
You can replace the ground beef with ground turkey for a lower fat option.
Serving Size 1 (based on 6 servings)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 173 mg
Sodium 166 mg
Total Carbohydrates 5 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 28.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Have you made Joe’s Special or eaten it in a Diner? Have you made a similar spinach, beef, and egg hash? If you did, we would love to see a picture. Tag us on Instagram.