These individual-sized egg muffin cups with turkey bacon are fantastic make-ahead breakfast morsels. They are high in protein, low in carbs and only 80 calories each.
Reduced calorie egg muffin cups with turkey bacon
We have replaced some of the whole eggs with egg whites to reduce the fat, calories, and cholesterol, however, all the flavor of whole eggs is retained. By adding cottage cheese to the egg muffin cups they become creamy, fluffy and rich in flavor. Finally, we added turkey bacon to give it a smokey, meaty flavor while keeping it lean.
Make ahead and reheat later
These little egg muffin cups make breakfast fast and convenient. They can be made weeks or months in advance and stored in the freezer. Take out as many as you need for the day or the week, thaw them in the freezer, then zap them in the microwave when you’re hungry.
If you didn’t plan ahead and thaw them out, you can still heat them up directly from their frozen state. The best way to heat them in the microwave is to cook them at 15 to 20-second intervals. It takes approximately 40 seconds to re-heat a thawed egg muffin and about 1 min and 20 seconds to re-heat a frozen egg muffin. Whether you start from thawed or frozen, that is a fast breakfast!
Reduced calorie and healthy
These little breakfast cups are smart and lean. They are only 80 calories, have almost 10 grams of protein and only 4 grams of fat. They are also low in carbs with only 1 gram of carbohydrates.
If you’re not worried about a low carb diet then add a slice of healthy whole grain toast for a complete and satisfying breakfast. They make a great, healthy way to start your morning and keep you full.
Breakfast is too easy!
Some other recipes you might like:
Have you made these reduced calorie egg muffins with turkey bacon? We would love to hear from you.
Send us a picture on Instagram.
- 6 slices turkey bacon
- 5 whole eggs
- 11 egg whites (1-1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Cook the turkey bacon in a skillet until it is browned then chop it into small bits.
- Place the eggs, egg whites, and cottage cheese in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups. Divide the bacon bits and chopped scallions among the muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until the centers are set. The eggs will puff up when they are done and sink back down when they cool.
- Allow the eggs to cool then run a knife around the edges and remove them from the muffin tin.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months. Re-heat them in the microwave at 20-second intervals until heated through.
- It takes about 40 seconds to re-heat a thawed egg muffin and about 1 minute 20 seconds to reheat a frozen egg muffin.
Amount Per Serving Calories 80 Total Fat 3.9g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 89mg Sodium 278mg Carbohydrates 1g Fiber 0g Sugar 1g Protein 10g