This chicken tortilla casserole is a bit like a Mexican lasagna. Corn chips are used between the layers and I chose to put all the cheese on top instead of between the layers.
Reserving all the cheese for the top helps me conserve the fat and calories for a portion of the casserole. I will keep a small section of the casserole almost ‘cheese free’ for the folks that are more calorie conscious.
If you want to keep the entire casserole more “lightened up” then just use half of the cheese and you will reduce your calories to 227 per serving and your fat to 11 grams per serving
. However, even if you use all the cheese that this recipe calls for you will still have far less calories and sodium than one of those recipes that use condensed soup. The small amount of low-fat cream cheese helps thicken the sauce and makes it creamy.
This makes a great game day casserole for the upcoming Super Bowl. A rotisserie chicken makes this pretty quick to put together and tortilla chips always seem to be on hand when a football game is playing. It’s a great way to serve those football fans a delicious and filling football fare without dishing out too many calories. They won’t know what’s missing if you don’t tell them.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, diced
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 5 cups tortilla chips (3 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and spray a 13 by 9 inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and salt. Cook about 1 minute then add chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, chilies, and cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese is melted then add the chicken and simmer about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread 1/3 of chicken mixture in the bottom of the baking pan. Spread 1/3 of the tortilla chips over the chicken mixture. Repeat the layers 2 more times, then top with the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling hot. Top with cilantro before serving.
Use gluten free corn tortilla chips if you need to be strictly gluten free.
Amount Per ServingCalories 293 Total Fat 16g Sodium 610mg Carbohydrates 16g Protein 21g