Sweet, tangy, and zesty, Carolina Gold BBQ sauce is the perfect combination of flavors that has so many uses! The signature flavor of this mustard-based sauce is an amazing addition to your favorite barbecue dishes like pulled pork, ribs, chicken wings, and beef brisket.
Similar to traditional BBQ sauce, Carolina Gold sauce combines the perfect balance of sweet, tang and heat!
It has a lovely golden color from the mustard base (similar to honey mustard) and rich brown sugar flavors that make this sauce irresistible. Slather it onto a meatloaf sandwich, or take your grilling to the next level!
What is Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce?
This golden BBQ sauce first originated in South Carolina. While there are different versions, each Carolina mustard BBQ sauce features mustard as the primary ingredient.
We use a blend of three different mustards, light brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and a touch of hot sauce. If you’d like to mellow the flavors a bit, you can mix in a small amount of tomato paste.
Why This Recipe Works
This easy recipe comes together in a matter of minutes! You can enjoy it right away or store it in a mason jar in your fridge for later use.
Our Carolina Gold BBQ sauce recipe is:
- Quick and easy. Make it in five minutes with a short list of simple ingredients!
- Versatile. Use this sauce as a marinade, glaze, sandwich topping, dip, or as a traditional barbecue sauce.
- Packed with flavor. Take any recipe to the next level with this delicious, sweet, and tangy golden BBQ sauce!
The Ingredient List
This traditional Carolina Gold barbecue sauce recipe is inspired by one of our favorite barbecue restaurants. The natural flavors of three types of mustards combine for a rich, well-balanced golden barbecue sauce.
To make Carolina Gold sauce, you will need:
- yellow mustard
- Dijon mustard
- stone ground mustard (or Deli mustard)
- apple cider vinegar
- light brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce
- black pepper
- tomato paste (optional, if you’d like to mellow the tang)
In under ten minutes, you’ll have a rich, sweet and tangy Carolina Gold sauce, made right at home!
The process is super simple, but be sure to view the full recipe card at the bottom of the page to see all of the details.
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir well. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring, and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- The barbecue sauce will slightly reduce and thicken as it cooks.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool before transferring it into an air-tight container.
Tips for Success
- You can adjust the amount of hot sauce to your own taste preference. Or, swap in a pinch of ground cayenne pepper for extra heat!
- You can also adjust the amount of added sugar in this tangy sauce. For a sauce with natural sugar content, swap in honey for the brown sugar. White sugar also works well if you don’t have brown sugar on hand.
- Carolina Gold BBQ sauce will keep well in the fridge for up to four weeks.
How to Use Carolina Gold Sauce
This tangy sauce has so many uses and will add a punch of flavor to a variety of dishes! Enjoy the sauce however you like, but our personal favorites are these recipes:
⭐️ Helpful Tools
Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
😋 More Recipes You Will Love:
Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Pork Ribs are meaty and flavorful, seasoned with a dry chipotle rub and sauced up with a savory-sweet roasted raspberry chipotle barbecue sauce. They will get rave reviews all around!
Potato Salad with Bacon and Cheese is a personal favorite for good reason. A creamy dressing, tender potatoes, bacon, egg and cheese makes this the loaded potato salad that hits all the right flavor notes!
Buttery Cornbread is the perfect pairing with any barbecue dish and this one is everything cornbread is expected to be! A tender crumb and a sweet and buttery flavor is just begging to be drizzled in honey.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup stone ground mustard or Deli mustard
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
Optional (to mellow the tang)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir well. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir for 5 to 8 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before storing in a container.
- Adjust the amount of hot sauce to your own preference or add a pinch of cayenne powder for extra heat.
- You can substitute honey or white sugar for the brown sugar.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.