Tender, tasty Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables, with lots of fresh thyme and cooked for hours, creating a rich flavor sauce with very little hands on.
Whoever came up with the idea of this crockpot cooker did a good thing! Wouldn’t my grandma Prentice have loved this marvel? Grammy was a hard-working farm wife and this Crockpot Chicken dinner would be such a time saver for her.
Oh, yeah….grammy would round up one of her chickens, hack off its head and de-feather it by seven in the morning. She would gather potatoes, carrots and onions from her root cellar and herbs from her very own kitchen garden. She would have this crockpot chicken and vegetables cooking by nine o’clock. Yep, she would have loved the crockpot idea!
This crockpot chicken and vegetables works just as well for us modern-day folk that work all day and come home to a hungry, busy family to feed. It is a really nutritious and healthy one-pot meal. Everything you need for dinner is right there and ready to eat when you get home.
How To Make This Crockpot Chicken And Vegetables:
We used skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs but breasts or a combination of chicken parts works too. They get a nice browning in a skillet, then the drippings are made into a creamy sauce with garlic, chicken broth and white wine. We transferred the sauce into the bottom of the crockpot and arranged the chicken in the sauce. Sounds doable so far, right?
Fresh herbs and garlic add a ton of flavor to this crockpot chicken dinner and they are sprinkled over the chicken. The vegetables go in next, then more fresh herbs and seasoning.
Although we chose the basic assortment of vegetables including small red potatoes, carrots and onions you could switch in any of your personal favorites. Some choices that come to mind would be:
- Fingerling potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
Choose Your Cooking Time:
We mixed seasoning, melted butter and garlic together and poured it over the vegetables. Then we sprinkled thyme leaves over top. The lid went on, the unit was set at high and the timer for three and one-half hours. For an all-day cook, set the heat on low and the timer for six hours. This is perfect for you all you hard-working parents.
We love this crockpot, if the dinner is ready before we are, the timer goes to ‘warm’ until we can enjoy our dinner.
To finish this and bring it to the table, just transfer the veggies to a platter and arrange the chicken pieces next to it.
There will be about two cups of cooking sauce in the bottom of the crockpot. We stirred in a little cream and transferred it to a pitcher for the dinner.
This is a pretty easy dinner with a lot of flavor-reward. All you need to finish off this chicken and vegetable dinner is a quick green salad and crusty sourdough bread. Oh…. that makes me think of grandma’s thick slices of warm homemade bread!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in with skin (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 4 tablespoons thyme leaves, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pound carrots, peeled or scrubbed
- 1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 3 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup cream
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Season the chicken well with the salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat and when it is hot add the chicken pieces, skin side down and and cook to a golden brown on each side. About 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve while making the sauce.
- Stir the flour into the remaining oil in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring to loosen any bits stuck to the pan. Add the wine and cook until the sauce is smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to the crockpot and add the browned chicken in one layer. Sprinkle half of the chopped garlic and half of the thyme leaves over the chicken.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and onions over the chicken.
- In a small dish mix the melted butter, salt, pepper and the remaining chopped garlic. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and sprinkle with the remaining thyme leaves. Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a platter and garnish with thyme sprigs. Increase the crockpot temperature to high and stir the cream into the remaining sauce. Stir to combine and when it is bubbly, transfer the sauce to a small dish or pitcher and serve along with the chicken and veggies.
- Crockpot meals are great time-savers, especially when you are a working mom. Toss the ingredients into the crockpot, set it to cooking and boom! Dinner is ready when you get home from work.
- If adding fresh green vegetables such as string beans, peas or asparagus add them the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- We cooked this on high for 3 1/2 hours
- For crispy chicken skin: When ready to serve, transfer the chicken from the crockpot and place on a sheet pan, slide it under the broiler unit of the oven for two or three minutes then add them to the platter with the vegetables, serve and enjoy!
Serving Size1 Chicken Thigh, 1 Portion Vegetables
Amount Per Serving Calories 267 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 10.2g Cholesterol 135mg Sodium 535mg Carbohydrates 27.2g Fiber 3.3g Sugar 4.8g Protein 17g