If there’s anything better than a loaf of homemade banana bread, you can rest assured you’ve found it: chocolate chip banana bread. Not only is this banana bread studded with a generous amount of chocolate chips, but it also has a lovely toffee-like flavor thanks to the brown sugar. Our chocolate chip banana bread is a delicious, sweet indulgence, packed with chocolate and an intense banana flavor.
When it comes to banana bread, we’ve got you covered! Looking for a healthy spelt banana bread? Or a blueberry banana bread? Or how about your favorite copycat Starbucks banana bread? Despite the many variations of banana bread we’ve shared here over the years, none are quite like this chocolate chip banana bread! It’s a perfect combination of sweet, chocolate-y, banana goodness.
how to make this banana bread
Our chocolate chip banana bread is just as simple to make as the classic, one-bowl version you grew up with! The biggest differences are the additions of chocolate chips and brown sugar. And trust us on this- you’ll love these special “extras!” The brown sugar gives this banana bread a slight toffee flavor that you’ll love, and the chocolate chips in this bread are PLENTIFUL.
the ingredient list
To make this epic chocolate chip banana bread, you will need the following ingredients:
- Mashed ripe bananas (we use about 3-4). Make sure your bananas are very ripe.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar. A combination of both white and brown sugar will give the perfect sweetness and texture to this bread.
- Vegetable oil. Oil gives this banana bread a wonderfully soft and moist texture.
- Eggs. Let the eggs sit out for a while so they come to room temperature.
- Vanilla extract. Enhances the flavors. Real vanilla extract is pretty expensive but worth the cost. Imitation vanilla will also work.
- Flour. All-purpose flour works just fine with this recipe.
- Baking powder and baking soda. Leaveners that help the banana bread rise. Make sure they are fresh. If either of them are too old they will not work well.
- Salt. An essential flavor enhancer.
- Chocolate chips. We used mini chocolate chips because you can pack more little bits of chocolate throughout the bread. You can also use regular chocolate chips or a chopped up chocolate bar.
let’s make chocolate chip banana bread!
Here’s the best part: this takes a matter of minutes to mix up, and the delicious scent of banana bread baking is so pleasant. A “make your morning” kind of pleasant.
Or the perfect “welcome home” aroma for kiddos after a long day at school. It’s comforting, cheerful, and will brighten up any situation. Freshly-baked banana bread does that, right?
Here’s how easy it is to make our chocolate chip banana bread! (For the full recipe and ingredient amounts, scroll to the bottom of the page.)
- Mix the wet ingredients: Combine the mashed banana, sugars, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Use a sifter to sift the dry ingredients over the banana mixture then gently stir them together. If you don’t have a sifter then whisk the dry ingredients in a separate bowl before adding them to the wet mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the banana bread batter into your prepared pan (either grease it or line it with parchment paper). Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Let it cool on a wire rack.
our recipe notes
This chocolate chip banana bread is soooo tender, moist, and ultra CHOCOLATE-Y. The most decadent banana bread we’ve made!
It’s an easy recipe, but here are a couple of our notes to help ensure your banana bread turns out perfect:
- Don’t forget to preheat the oven. Make this the first thing you do so the oven is hot when you are ready to bake the banana bread.
- We recommend lining the bread pan with parchment paper. This will help prevent the bread from sticking to the pan, which also means you’ll have a much easier time removing the loaf from the pan.
- Before attempting to remove the banana bread from the pan, allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Hot bread = crumbly bread, and is much harder to lift out of the pan, parchment paper or not. 😉
- Using miniature chocolate chips will scatter more bits of chocolate throughout the bread and make sure every bite is ultra-chocolatey.
Happy baking, friends! This chocolate chip banana bread is a sweet treat for any occasion, and simply begs to be shared!
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Bananas Foster Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce is incredible! A crispy outside with a sweet, banana custard-y middle, drizzle on the rum sauce for a luxurious bread pudding.
- It’s the season for all things pumpkin, and we know you’ll enjoy our Chocolate Fudge Swirled Pumpkin Bread! Rich, fudg-y chocolate layers are swirled into a tender pumpkin bread for a sweet, irresistible treat.
- Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Oatmeal Streusel are a wonderful start to the day! We’ve reduced the fat and calories and upped the fiber to create a lighter muffin that still has so much flavor!
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 to 4 bananas)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (plus a bit more to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or line it with parchment paper).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana, sugar, brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over the banana mixture. Toss the chocolate chips in.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined. Do not stir too much or you will overwork the gluten.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for 20 minutes then remove it from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.