Broccoli casserole with cream cheese might just be the best way way to enjoy broccoli! This cheesy casserole is a side dish the whole family will enjoy (yes, even the picky eaters). Tender broccoli and crispy bacon are coated in a rich sauce made with cream cheese, cheddar and smokey Gruyere.
Finish it off with a sprinkle of yummy Panko or a buttery cracker (like Ritz crackers) for the perfect crunchy topping, then bake until it’s hot and bubbly.
This easy broccoli casserole recipe has a flavor similar to our chicken broccoli casserole , but it’s an elevated dish that makes the perfect side for any special occasion or holiday meal.
Why this Recipe Works
You might be surprised to discover that there’s no canned cream of mushroom soup in this recipe!
Instead, simple ingredients give this casserole big flavor that the entire family will rave about.
Tender broccoli is elevated with lots of cheese that melts into a rich cream sauce and coats every bit of the veggie. It’s comfort food deluxe, and the perfect addition to any holiday dinner or large gathering!
Broccoli casserole with cream cheese is:
- Cheesy, buttery and packed with flavor.
- Versatile and simple to make.
- A delicious casserole that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
The Ingredient List
This creamy casserole is a delicious side dish with cheesy flavors!
Fresh broccoli florets are tossed in a creamy sauce that’s loaded with cheese in this easy broccoli casserole recipe. Three kinds of cheese, to be exact! Cream cheese, smoked Gruyere, and sharp cheddar cheese come together for an incredibly rich flavor you’ll love.
To make it, you will need:
- Panko or Ritz cracker crumbs
- grated Parmesan cheese
- lemon zest
- garlic cloves
- all-purpose flour
- milk or half and half
- Dijon mustard
- Tabasco hot sauce
- salt and black pepper
- cheese: cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and smoked Gruyere cheese
- bacon crumbles
- fresh broccoli florets
We should also note that you will need a large pot or Dutch oven for this recipe. It should be large enough to hold all of the broccoli and easily mix it in the cheese sauce.
The cooking process for this simple side dish is pretty straightforward, and most of it comes together in one large pot.
Here’s a step-by-step look at the process, but be sure to view the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter, then add the shallot to the melted butter. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until soft. Stir in the garlic.
Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking frequently. Add the Dijon mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cream cheese and other cheeses. Stir the cheese mixture until it has melted.
Add the bacon and broccoli florets. Stir until well coated. Transfer the broccoli mixture to a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
Combine the topping ingredients in a small dish.
Sprinkle the topping over the broccoli and cover the casserole with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20 to 25 more minutes.
Tips for Success
- We prefer using fresh broccoli, but you can also use frozen broccoli for this recipe. If you choose to use frozen broccoli, it will need to thaw out completely. Pat it dry before using. Note that the cheese sauce will be slightly watery if you choose to use frozen broccoli over fresh broccoli.
- Make sure to uncover the casserole during the last 20-25 minutes of bake time. This will allow the top to get nice and golden and crunchy.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or cover the dish in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
This is one of those easy recipes that works for a crowd, holiday, or your everyday family dinner. It holds up well as leftovers too, which means you can enjoy it for a couple of days!
Broccoli, bacon and cheese are a match made in heaven, and this easy casserole serves as proof. Enjoy!
⭐️ Helpful Tools
Some of the following are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission if you click on these links and purchase something. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
More Recipes You Will Love:
Our Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is a cheesy and creamy comfort food that is guaranteed to please the entire family. The Instant Pot allows this simple casserole meal to come together quickly- a lifesaver on busy weeknights.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is better than the canned stuff! Make a large batch and store it in the freezer to have easy soup on-hand to enjoy on its own or use in other recipes for an extra flavor boost!
Greek Easter Bread is a tender brioche-like sweet bread that is soft, fluffy and perfect for any special occasion! It’s especially delicious as the base for a French toast casserole or breakfast strata.
Our Hamburger potato casserole is a hearty, from scratch recipe (no canned soup).
For More Broccoli Recipes
- Steamed broccoli
- Lemon broccoli soup
- Potato broccoli cheddar soup
- Roasted broccoli with lemon and chili
- Venison and broccoli stir fry
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
For the Topping
- ¾ cup Panko or Ritz cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
For the Broccoli Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk or half and half
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1-½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated smoked Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup bacon crumbles (from 8 slices)
- 1-½ pounds broccoli florets
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small dish and set it aside for later.
- Place a large pot over medium heat (use a pot that is large enough to fit the broccoli later).
- Melt the butter then add the shallot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until soft. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk while whisking constantly. Cook for 3 minutes while whisking. Stir in the Dijon, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and Gruyere. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the bacon and broccoli florets. Stir until well coated then transfer to a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle the topping over the broccoli and cover the casserole with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 20 to 25 more minutes.
You can use frozen broccoli in this recipe, but you will need to thaw it and pat it dry. If you use frozen broccoli, the cheese sauce will be slightly watery.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Nutrition information is a guideline only. It is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.