Forget the canned stuff, our Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup is a thousand times better! This homemade version is healthier than canned mushroom soup, but just as versatile! Make a big batch of it to use throughout the holidays or cozy up to a bowl as the temperatures chill. It’s delicious, full of flavor, and is incredibly convenient to have on hand (or should I say, in the freezer? 😉 ).
Homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup: the details
I don’t know about you, but as the temperatures chill, a bowl of warm soup is the exact kind of comfort food I crave. And cream of mushroom soup is one of our favorites
So, why opt for making it yourself? Our homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup is so easy to make, more flavorful and fresh than what you’d find in a can, plus you know exactly what is going into it. Once you opt for homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup, there’s no going back!
ingredients for this cream of mushroom soup
Homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup is a delicious combination made up of a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you will need:
- Chopped mushrooms
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried thyme
- Salt and white pepper
- Whole milk
- All-purpose flour
So simple, right? This recipe will make the equivalent of three, 10.5-ounce cans of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup. It’s an easy recipe to scale up if you’d like to have a larger stash in your refrigerator or freezer.
How many cups are in a can of cream of mushroom soup?
There are approximately 1-1/4 cups in one can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. When it is re-constituted, the can of soup makes 2-1/4 cups of soup.
how to make homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup
This condensed soup takes only a matter of minutes to make! The full instructions and recipe amounts are at the bottom of the page, but here’s a quick look at how simple this recipe is:
- Sauté the mushrooms: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the chopped mushrooms. Sauté them for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth and seasoning, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the milk/flour mixture: Whisk together the milk and flour in a small dish, then slowly pour the mixture into the boiling broth, whisking it in. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, for a few minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Cool and store: Remove the soup from the heat and allow it to cool before pouring it into lidded containers (we like these containers).
How to use this condensed cream of mushroom soup
You can use this homemade version of condensed cream of mushroom soup in recipes that call for the canned version. For every can of canned soup a recipe calls for, measure out 1-1/4 cups of homemade condensed soup. Here are some ideas.
- Scalloped potatoes or potatoes au gratin
- Green bean casserole
- A quick tuna casserole.
- Hashbrown casserole
- A quick gravy for pork chops or mashed potatoes.
- Or make a comforting bowl of cream of mushroom soup for a filling lunch.
How to re-constitute this soup
Since this soup is condensed, it is not ready to eat as a hearty bowl of soup just yet. To make a warm bowl of cream of mushroom soup, combine 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of the condensed soup with 1 cup of milk. Stir and cook on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated completely.
Our homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup is rich and creamy with an intense mushroom flavor! Thin it down and enjoy a comforting bowl of cream of mushroom soup, or use the portions in other recipes as needed.
It’s easy, convenient, and so, so GOOD.
We hope you enjoy our homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup! Tis the season for all things quick and comforting. 🙂
How to store homemade condensed soup.
You can store the condensed soup in the refrigerator for up to one week, or up to three months in the freezer. Measure out individual portions so you can grab what you need in a hurry.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole: This Instant Pot chicken broccoli rice casserole is cheesy, creamy, comfort food. It comes together in a flash and it is made completely from scratch.
- Chili Relleno Casserole: Easy no-fry chili rellenos made into a casserole with a little heat from pepper jack cheese and spicy salsa.
- Creamy Chicken Pasta Skillet: This Alfredo style creamy chicken pasta skillet makes a quick and easy lunch or a light dinner. Full of nutrition with cooked chicken, crisp veggies and pasta in a creamy, cheesy sauce.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 2-2/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1-1/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter; then add the chopped mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth and the seasoning to the saucepan with the mushrooms and bring the to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk and flour together in a small dish and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour the milk/flour mixture into the boiling broth while continuing to whisk. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool, then portion into containers.
- Use this homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup in the same manner as the canned variety.
- This recipe will make the equivalent of 3 cans, 10.5 oz. each of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup.
- Portion the condensed soup into lidded containers and use in a recipe or refrigerate for up to 1 week. The soup will keep stored in sealed freezer containers for 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 10.5 oz.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 1753mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.