Ahi Tuna feels smooth and buttery yet it is a mild flavored fish that takes on flavor well and blends with a variety of dishes. It is a high-quality protein that is very low in fat but feels like a sinful splurge.
I count it among one of my favorite meats. This dish is not only easy to prepare, it takes only a few minutes and feels like your serving an elegant complex meal.
I prefer my Ahi steak on the rare side but Jon likes his cooked more thoroughly so I prepare his medium rare to medium to retain the smooth buttery texture. I wouldn’t recommend cooking this more than medium as it becomes dry, flaky and disappointing.
Check out more recipes from Savor the Best:
- Ahi tuna grain bowl
- Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Mango Salsa
- Grilled Swordfish Steak with Lemon-Dill Aioli Sauce
- Tuna Crudo
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 Ahi Tuna steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- zest of 1 lemon
- Season both sides of the fish with salt. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Place the tuna steaks in the hot fry pan and cook 1 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness (Tuna will become dry if cooked well-done and is best cooked rare to medium). Set tuna steaks aside when finished cooking.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the butter in the saucepan. Add the shallots and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Add lemon juice, capers and lemon zest. Cook for 1 more minute to heat thoroughly. Pour the sauce over the fish and serve promptly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.