Tomatoes and cheese are two of our favorite tastes and we have combined them in a Tomato Casserole. This is such a classic blend of ingredients and flavors yet it is so easy to make and packed full of flavor. Vibrant ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, garlic and rosemary make a Meatless Monday meal or a healthy side dish.
The tomato casserole was made with thick slices of big red tomatoes layered with mozzarella cheese. I sliced the tennis-ball-size balls of mozzarella thinly and cuddled them between the tomato slices.
Bread is a must with this dish. The tomatoes release all their juices while they bake and it blends with the flavors from the cheese and herbs. It creates a wonderful, savory broth to sop up with bread.
This tomato casserole was the main event for our meatless-Monday dinner. We also had fresh green beans with bacon crumbles and a nice baby kale, blueberry and blue cheese salad with creamy lemon-honey vinaigrette.
It can also be served as a side dish with chicken or fish like this pan fried cod.
What is in this tomato casserole?
This is such a healthy, nutritious recipe! I have listed everything you need but please scroll to the recipe card below for complete details. Here’s what you need:
- Fresh Mozzarella cheese balls
- Fresh rosemary
- Parmesan cheese
- Panko bread crumbs
The combination of thick, tomatoes and creamy fresh mozzarella cheese are a great flavor profile in this tomato casserole. Dress it up with garlic and rosemary and you have a casserole that is classy enough for a summer dinner party!
Here’s how to make this simple Tomato Casserole:
Fresh summer tomatoes are the best choice but the good news is you can get your hands on fresh tomatoes all year long.
- Arrange slices of tomatoes in an oven-proof baking dish.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese ball into 1/4-inch thick slices and tuck them in between the tomatoes slices.
- Mix the melted butter and grated garlic together and drizzle over the tomatoes and mozzarella. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary over the tomatoes and cheese.
- Combine the parmesan cheese and the toasted Panko bread crumbs together and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake the casserole in a preheated 375°F oven for 30-35 minutes.
Tips for success:
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray before you begin.
- Remove the stem-core of the tomatoes before slicing them.
- Slice the tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick. They will bake down a bit and shrink so don’t slice them too thin.
- Serve this dish while it is hot and the cheese is soft.
- This dish creates a lot of runny juices. Serve it in bowls to contain all the broth.
There is one caveat that I should mention…..Serve this tomato casserole hot, right from the oven so you can enjoy that creamy, gooey mozzarella cheese as it stretches from the dish!
You might like these recipes:
- This Rosemary Potato Gratin is rich, creamy, and cheese. It makes an amazing side dish for almost any meal.
- Our Sweet Potato Jalapeno Mash is so delicious. The jalapenos get roasted and brings out some sweetness in the peppers.
- Sautéed Rosemary-Lemon Beets is a delicious side dish that is full of antioxidants.
DO YOU MAKE THIS TOMATO CASSEROLE RECIPE? TAG US!
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper grindings
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and arrange them to fit into an oven-proof baking dish. Cut the mozzarella cheese balls into 1/4-inch slices and place them between the tomato slices.
- In a small dish, combine the butter and chopped garlic. Drizzle the mixture over the tomatoes and cheese then sprinkle them with the salt, a few grindings of fresh black pepper and the rosemary.
- In another small dish, combine the parmesan cheese and the toasted bread crumbs and distribute the mixture over the casserole. Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot from the oven to table.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 384mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
This recipe was first published on September 11, 2015. We updated the photos. Some of the original photos are below.