We have enjoyed an exceptionally warm summer this year and my garden has done well. Had I known we would have all these hot days I would surely have planted tomatoes. I bought four large tomatoes and two balls of mozzarella cheese to make this tomato casserole.
Tomatoes are at their peak of the season now and the farmers’ markets have some beauties on display.
This tomato casserole was the main event for our meatless-Monday dinner. We also had fresh green beans with bacon crumbles and a nice baby kale, blueberry and blue cheese salad with creamy lemon-honey vinaigrette.
It can also be served as a side dish with chicken or fish.
Not only was this tomato casserole delicious for our dinner, we also had some the next morning for breakfast with a poached egg and multi-grain toast.
The tomato casserole was made with thick slices of big red tomatoes layered with mozzarella cheese. I sliced the tennis-ball-size balls of mozzarella thinly and cuddled them between the tomato slices.
A little melted garlic butter drizzled over the top, a generous sprinkle of fresh chopped rosemary, salt/pepper, and some crunchy parmesan bread crumbs finished it off.
Bread is a must with this dish. The tomatoes release all their yummy juices while they bake and create a wonderful broth to sop up with bread.
You might like these recipes:
DO YOU MAKE THIS TOMATO CASSEROLE RECIPE? TAG US!
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper grindings
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and arrange them to fit into an oven-proof baking dish. Cut the mozzarella cheese balls into 1/4-inch slices and place them between the tomato slices.
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil and chopped garlic. Drizzle the mixture over the tomatoes and cheese then sprinkle them with the salt and a few grindings of fresh black pepper and the rosemary.
- In another small dish, combine the parmesan cheese and the toasted bread crumbs and distribute the mixture over the casserole. Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot from the oven to table.
Amount Per ServingCalories 150 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 25mg Sodium 384mg Carbohydrates 6g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Protein 8g