I don’t know about you, but give me a big bowl of Instant Pot shredded beef and I’ll turn it into a few different meals that’ll last all week. With me? This Instant Pot shredded beef recipe is so, so easy and full of flavor. These tender shreds of beef are just what you need for that next casserole, soup, or a Taco Tuesday kind of night.
The Instant Pot means tender, delicious, shredded beef is ready in less than an hour!
How to Make Shredded Beef:
This shredded beef recipe is so versatile and flexible- you can easily change up the flavors! One-pot of shredded beef will make spicy, Mexican-inspired beef chimichangas one night, and barbecue beef sandwiches the next day. Season it with this shawarma spice rub to make a beef shawarma sandwich.
Beef tacos and nachos and omelets and soup- it’s all quick and easy with this Instant Pot shredded beef recipe. ?
To make this shredded beef, you’ll need:
- An Instant Pot (or similar pressure cooker)
- Seasoning mix of choice (we’ll get to those options shortly!)
- A 3-pound boneless chuck roast
- Beef or chicken broth
- A can of crushed tomatoes
- Dried bay leaves
What kind of beef roast is best for shredding? We like to use chuck roast for this because it’s an affordable cut of meat with great flavor. It can be tough, but when cooked right (either slow-cooked or under high pressure like this recipe!) the connective tissue in the meat that makes it tough breaks down and tenderizes it.
That means your chuck roast will pull apart easily, for perfectly juicy and tender shreds of beef.
To make this recipe:
- Slice the chuck roast in half to fit inside the Instant Pot. Season both sides. Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode, add olive oil to the pot, and brown the chuck roast for about two minutes on each side. Set the chuck roast aside on a plate.
- Pour broth into the pot and scrape the bottom to remove any stuck browned bits. Put the roast back into the pot and add crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, and the rest of the spice mix.
- Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Remove the chuck roast from the pot and shred the meat with two forks. Skim the fat off the liquid, then set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken. Return the meat to the Instant Pot with the cooking liquid.
our favorite spice mix options
- Taco seasoning! Make your own, or use a store-bought kind.
- Our favorite Cajun seasoning mix!
- Barbecue seasoning blend, homemade or store-bought
- Onion soup mix! We have a low-sodium onion soup blend, if you want a healthier option than what’s sold in stores.
change it up with sauces!
Our Instant Pot shredded beef recipe works great with wet sauces, too! If you want to add additional sauces, make sure to wait until the meat is finished cooking and the juices have been reduced. If you add the sauce before you cook the meat, the natural juices from the beef will dilute and thin the sauce. So make sure to hold the sauce until the final step!
After you shred the meat and return it to the pot, add the additional sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Here are some of our favorite sauces:
- Barbecue sauce
- Tikka Masala simmer sauce
- Enchilada sauce
- Spanish Romesco sauce
How do you shred beef?
Shredding beef is easy, and all you need is two forks!
- Let the beef cool for a few minutes, just so it’s not piping hot to the touch!
- Hold a fork in each hand and pierce the meat- you want the forks to be directly across from each other. Pull the forks in opposite directions along the grain, and continue throughout the cut of meat. It should pull apart easily.
what to make with shredded beef
What not to make is a better question. ? This shredded beef recipe is seriously delicious, tender, easy, and versatile. Here are a few of our recipes that you could whip up incredibly quickly with some of this Instant Pot shredded beef ready to go:
- Shredded beef chimichangas- these baked chimis mean easy clean-up, which is good because you’ll definitely want a big batch to ensure there’s plenty of leftovers!
- How about a beef shawarma sandwich , wrapped in soft naan and drizzled with a creamy tahini? I’m in.
- A platter of our Kamut Chip spicy nachos for a fun, 100-percent kid-approved dinner!
- Instant Pot shredded beef is perfect for this soul-warming, Scotch Broth! Made with beef or lamb, you can stir up a quick version of this, for a hearty and flavorful soup.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- This coconut cake with a coconut buttercream frosting is what you need, trust us! It’s simple and decadent and oh so moist and tender, this cake is a special occasion all by itself!
- Our blondie brownies are an easy, one-bowl recipe that are soft, chewy and the perfect blend of caramel, chocolate and toffee flavors.
- Our port wine braised short ribs are so flavorful, one-pot, and melt-in-your-mouth tender! This is a comfort food dish that will be raved about by all!
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3 tablespoons seasoning mix (see options below)
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast
- 1/2 cup beef broth or chicken broth
- 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Slice the chuck roast in half so the pieces fit in the Instant Pot.
- Season both sides of the chuck roast with 2 to 3 teaspoons of the seasoning. Save the rest of the seasoning for later.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and add some olive oil to the pot. When the oil is hot, brown the chuck roast for about 2 minutes on each side. Turn the saute mode off and set the roast aside on a plate.
- Pour the broth into the pot and scrape the bottom to remove anything that might be stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Put the roast back into the pot and add the crushed tomatoes, the bay leaves and the rest of the spice mix.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the pressure release valve is in the “sealed” position.
- Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes then release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Remove the chuck roast from the pot and shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Use a large spoon or a ladle to skim the fat off the top of the liquid. Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Return the meat to the Instant Pot with all the cooking liquid.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
Suggested spice mix options:
- Taco seasoning. Check out our homemade taco seasoning mix.
- Cajun seasoning mix. Homemade or storebought
- Barbecue seasoning blend. Homemade or storebought.
- Onion soup mix. Check out our homemade, low sodium onion soup blend.
How to add additional wet sauces.
If you want to add additional sauces wait until the meat is finished cooking and the juices have been reduced. After you shred the meat and add it back to the pot, add the additional sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Here are some suggested sauces:
- Barbecue sauce
- Tikka Masala simmer sauce
- Enchilada sauce
- Spanish Romesco sauce.
If you add the simmer sauces before you cook the meat then the juices will thin the sauce and dilute the flavor. Add the sauce last.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Simply Organic Seasoning Mix, Southwest Taco, 1.13 Oz
McCormick Perfect Pinch Cajun Seasoning, 18 oz
The Spice Lab BBQ Barbecue Spices and Seasonings Set - Ultimate Grilling Accessories Set - Perfect Gift Kit for Barbecues, Grilling, and Smoking - Great Gift for Men or Gift for Dad – Made in the USA
Lipton Recipe Secrets Soup and Dip Mix For Delicious Meals Onion Single-Serve Package for Easy Seasoning, 2 Envelopes, 2 Oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 663mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.