Nachos are always a great party appetizer but you don’t have to wait for a party to enjoy these kamut chip spicy nachos. Crunchy, cheesy and full of good flavor, they can be a snack or a whole meal!
We got this nacho dish at Uncommon Goods. It is the size of a dinner plate and makes the perfect size for a shared appetizer. These spicy nachos look stunning in it.
The chips in this nacho dish are made from our Kamut flour tortillas and they are so addictive. If you don’t want to take the time to make your own chips just buy your favorite brand but I really do recommend a squeeze of lime.
It gives the nachos a zesty bright flavor. And if your drooling over this nacho plate then you may like some of the other items offered at Uncommon Goods. They have a great collection of unique gift ideas. For the foodie that is hard to buy for, check out their kitchen gadgets section here.
We all know at least one person that has absolutely everything and gift buying seems impossible but not when you have options to give a very personalized gift like this cutting board. Or you could check out this page for some unique housewarming gifts that you can’t find in just any store.
Whatever you choose from Uncommon Goods, you can feel good about your purchase. They strive to be a sustainable and environmentally friendly company and with every purchase, they donate to a non-profit organization of your choice.
In the meantime, serve up this plate of kamut chip spicy nachos with side dippers of guacamole, sour cream and salsa and don’t forget a nice cold bottle of beer! Muy bien!
Nachos are a Tex-Mex specialty and they are always on the Mexican restaurant menus for a reason. We all love them! We used our made-from-scratch kamut flour tortillas to make the crisp and crunchy chips. Next we layered the chips with lean ground beef, red and green fresh jalepeno peppers, fresh green onions, sliced olives, diced fresh tomatoes and two kinds of shredded cheese….a lot of cheese. We popped this nacho dish right into the microwave to heat up the spicy nachos and melt that cheese.
More yummy appetizers:
To make the chips:
- 8 8-inch kamut flour tortillas
- melted coconut oil
- Kosher salt
For the Spicy Nachos:
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground guajillo chile
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile
- Pinch of ground chipotle
- 1 red jalepeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed and finely diced
- 1 green jalepeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed and finely diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons sliced pickled jalepeno peppers
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup salsa
For the Chips:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush each tortilla with oil and stack them together as each one is oiled. Cut the stack in half, and then cut each half into 3 triangles. Arrange the triangles in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle them generously with salt.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until the tortillas begin to turn light brown, about 6-7 minutes. Rotate the pan and continue to bake until the chips are crisp and golden, 4-5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and reserve
For the Beef:
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet set over moderate heat, sprinkle with the salt and brown the beef, breaking it up with a fork, stirring frequently. Add the spices and continue to cook until no longer pink and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add a layer of the reserved kamut flour tortilla chips on the bottom of a microwaveable serving plate. Distribute 1/4 of the cooled beef over the chips. Spoon 1/4 portion, each, of the jalepenos, onions, olives, tomatoes and both cheeses. Continue layering with the chips, beef and remaining ingredients making a total of 4 layers ending with the cheese on top.
- Transfer the dish to the microwave and zap it for 45 seconds, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with the sliced pickled jalepeno peppers and the cilantro leaves and squeeze the lime juice over the top.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 595Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 969mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 13gSugar: 10gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.