You MUST have a perfect, go-to spice blend to rub on your food for your next barbecue and this barbecue seasoning recipe is it! I recently used this on some smoked brisket burnt ends and it really took them to the next level! It pairs nicely with chicken and pork as well, so make sure you have some of this on hand and ready to use the next time you fire up your grill.
What can you put the barbecue seasoning on?
- Chicken wings: try it out on these air fryer buffalo chicken wings – from frozen.
- Pork: check out this recipe for pulled smoked pork butt (shoulder).
- Chicken breast: try these delicious and easy grilled chicken breast.
- Ribs: use it as a seasoning for these easy barbecue pork ribs.
- Steak: rub it on a grilled flank steak.
This is a great all-purpose barbecue seasoning blend that gives extraordinary flavor to all your meals. You can even try it on your snacks. Not long ago, I mentioned that I used my Cajun seasoning blend on some buttered popcorn. Well, you can do that with this spice blend as well.
What is barbecue seasoning made from?
I always make my rubs from scratch so that I can control the flavors and ensure that I always have the freshest rub possible. You can make a recipe of barbecue seasoning with things already in your pantry and below are some recommendations of ingredients to use as a starting point.
- Brown sugar
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
How to store spices
Keep your spices stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Spices can be stored for quite a while as long as they stay dry and cool. You can even place them into the fridge to extend their shelf life and to help preserve their color.
Follow these guidelines below for approximate shelf life, however, I recommend being much more conservative since their flavor will deteriorate over time.
- Ground spices: 2-3 years
- Dried herbs: 1-3 years
- Whole spices: 4 years
How to use barbecue spice blend
Rub the spice blend all over the raw meat until it is evenly covered. Let the meat sit for at least 15 to 20 minutes for a nice flavor. For even better results, let it sit overnight in the fridge so the flavors soak into the meat and tenderize it.
You can use the oven, stovetop, or grill but make sure it isn’t too hot or too close to the flames. The sugar in this seasoning blend can burn.
You can even make a quick and easy barbecue sauce with this spice blend. Just combine 3 tablespoons of the spice blend with the following:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Water as needed to get it to the consistency you want.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
This spice blend recipe would also go great sprinkled on these roasted pumpkin seeds.
Our chocolate chipotle barbecue sauce is another great addition to your grilling and barbecue arsenal.
We have a whole post of healthy dinner ideas. You can easily substitute this barbecue seasoning blend for some of the ingredients to get a different dinner.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients with a fork.
- Transfer the barbecue spice blend to an airtight container and store it for later use.
- Now you are ready for your next barbecue!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Simply Organic Ancho Chili Powder Certified Organic, 2.85 Ounce
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Ground Cumin, 1.59 oz
- Simply Organic Oregano Leaf Cut & Sifted Certified Organic, .75-Ounce Container
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Garlic Powder, 2.33 oz
- McCormick Onion Powder, 2.62 oz
- CHIQUILIN Smoked Paprika, 75 GR
- Imperial Light Brown Sugar, 16 oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1 tsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 9Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.