You’ll love this nourishing and full of flavor Instant Pot lentil soup. Perfectly spiced with cumin and smoked paprika, it’s the perfect bowl on a cozy night.
Lentil soup. It’s a staple in most kitchens, right? Well, with this recipe, it’ll also turn into a quick favorite. Why?
- This recipe calls for ingredients that are easy to find and are affordable. Most are probably already in your pantry.
- It is SO easy to make. Thanks to the help of your instant pot, this lentil soup can be ready in no time.
- Lentil soup is HEARTY. Seriously, it is packed with protein, and rich in fiber, One bowl will leave you completely satisfied. But it’s so good, there’s always room for another.
- It is versatile. Choose the veggies you love. Sub the chicken broth with vegetable broth for a completely vegetarian dish. Top it off with your favorites to make it a fulfilling meal. Seriously, the variations are endless.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup
This soup starts with choosing your favorite hearty vegetables. I’ve chosen onions, carrots, and celery for my base, with garlic and stewed tomatoes for depth. It is so yummy. Here are all the ingredients you will need:
- Veggies: Onions, carrots, and celery.
- Herbs and spices: Garlic, cumin, paprika, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Chicken broth. The broth will give the soup more flavor than if you start with water.
- Tomatoes. I could have listed this with the veggies but it is really a fruit. This recipe calls for a can of diced tomatoes.
- Lentils. You will need 2 cups or about 16 ounces
I like to squeeze some lemon into my soup for a bright, fresh finish. Sour cream and chopped parsley are also great add-ons.
How to make lentil soup in the Instant Pot.
It really is a no-fuss dish. Perfect for those busy weeknights. Lentil soup Wednesdays? Oh hello, new friend. Make sure to scroll all the way down for the printable recipe card.
- Saute the veggies and garlic in the Instant Pot.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pot.
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients and turn the Instant Pot on high.
Tips for success.
- Rinse and sort through the lentils. Sometimes there are small pebbles in a batch of lentils and there is always dust that needs to be washed off.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot to avoid the burn warning. Deglazing the pot is easy. All you do is add liquid to the hot pot and scrape the stuck-on bits off the bottom of the pot. It gets all the flavors to blend with the lentil soup and it cleans the bottom of the pot to prevent that dreaded burn warning.
- Make sure the pressure release valve is in the sealed position when you turn the Instant Pot to high pressure.
- Don’t use old lentils. Check the expiration date on the lentils. If your lentils are much older than 1 year they may not soften. The older they get, the less likely they are to get soft when you cook them.
The Instant Pot isn’t the only way to make lentil soup. Try a stovetop lentil soup with sausage or make a hearty slow cooker lentil soup. You can also make a fast and easy main dish of Instant Pot lentils. Serve them on top of rice and toss in a side salad and some sourdough bread for a hearty meal.
What type of lentils to use.
You can use any type of lentil in this soup. Yellow, brown, red, and green lentils work the best and give the best texture. Puy lentils will work as well but they will not get as soft and the texture will be a bit different.
We do not recommend using canned lentils. Canned lentils are already cooked and will break down to mush when you cook them in the Instant Pot.
Storing lentil soup.
This soup will keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. It will thicken up a bit the longer it sits. If you want to make it more ‘soupy’ then just add a splash of chicken broth when you reheat it.
You can also freeze this soup for 4 to 6 months. Make sure to store it in freezer-proof containers to prevent freezer burn.
Whether you’re looking for a dish to make on those chilly nights, or are craving something hearty and healthy, you’ll want to put this on your table. Gather round, friends. This lentil soup is not something you want to miss.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
Use your Instant Pot to make some incredible baby back ribs. The pressure cooker makes them in a flash but they taste like they spent all day in a long slow braise.
This Instant Pot Spanish rice is fast and easy. It makes a great side dish for just about any meal.
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups (16 ounce bag) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh lemon
- Chopped parsley
- Sour cream
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and scrape up any stuck-on bits that might be on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and place the lid on. Make sure the valve is in the sealed position.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes then manually release the rest of the pressure.
- Serve with a fresh squeeze of lemon, fresh green parsley and a dab of sour cream.
Sometimes there are pebbles or other debris in a bag of lentils. Sort through the lentils and remove any pebbles and give them a rinse.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- CHIQUILIN Smoked Paprika, 75 GR
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Ground Cumin, 1.5 oz
- Hunt's Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added, Keto Friendly, 14.5 oz, 12 Pack
- Goya, Beans Lentils, 16 Ounce
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 1348mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.