Chicken Mole Enchiladas are dinner dreams come true! This spin on traditional chicken enchiladas is made special with a rich, decadent mole sauce that smothers the enchiladas and gives them a fantastic flavor.
Using our homemade mole sauce recipe and cooked chicken, these chicken mole enchiladas are ready for the oven in only 20 minutes!
We use our authentic mole sauce, also called “mole poblano” or “mole Rojo,” which is incredibly delicious and versatile! It is worth making in large batches since you can freeze what you don’t need for later use.
Mole sauce goes with so many things, and these chicken mole enchiladas are one of our favorite ways to enjoy it! They are packed with seasoned chicken, black beans, and cheese. Mole sauce, avocado slices (or guacamole sauce), and fresh cilantro give the dish a spectacular finish.
Why this Chicken Mole Enchiladas Recipe Works
- quick and easy to prepare (using pre-cooked chicken and already-made mole sauce)
- simple to make gluten-free (swap the bread in the mole sauce recipe for gf bread)
- packed with flavor
- a comfort dish that everyone will gather around and enjoy
For these yummy enchiladas, you will need the following ingredients:
- mole sauce. Homemade or storebought
- garlic cloves
- black beans. Use canned beans or cook dried black beans in the Instant Pot.
- cumin powder and oregano
- cooked and chopped chicken
- cheese. We used Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- flour or corn tortillas
You could substitute the black beans for pinto beans and if you feel inspired, try making homemade Kamut tortillas. You can even use our sweet potato flatbread for the tortilla shells which are also delicious in a tortilla casserole or shrimp tacos.
How to Make Chicken Mole Enchiladas
One of the best things about this chicken mole enchiladas recipe is that it comes together fairly easily and quickly when the chicken is already cooked and you have a batch of our mole sauce on hand.
It’s very similar to a traditional chicken enchiladas recipe, but instead of red or green sauce, we’re smothering these tasty enchiladas in authentic mole sauce!
Here is a brief overview to get an idea of what to expect with the recipe. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details.
- Prepare the filling. Place the filling close by so you can assemble the enchiladas quickly.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Add some mole sauce to a tortilla then add a scoop of filling. Roll it up and place in the casserole dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Bake: Pour the rest of the mole enchiladas sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle them with cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly on top. Before serving, top with your favorite garnishes and toppings of choice, like fresh cilantro, avocado or cotija cheese.
? More Chicken Dinner Recipes
Chicken is always a great choice for dinner. Whether you’re looking for a classic roasted chicken with veggies or something more adventurous like Moroccan chicken stew, we’ve got you covered. From a comforting chicken tortilla casserole to a whole smoked chicken, these delicious dinners will satisfy everyone at the table.
- Olive Garden chicken Parmesan
- Mexican chicken casserole
- chicken stuffed peppers
- smoked beer can chicken
- honey lemon pepper wings
- Mexican chicken pizza
- panko chicken
- baked chicken quarters
- fig and brie stuffed chicken breast
Frequently Asked Questions
Mole sauce is an entirely different type of sauce, made with an assortment of ingredients! While enchilada sauce is usually made from tomato sauce or pepper varieties (or both), mole sauce has a deeply rich, nutty, chocolate-y, mildly spicy flavor that is truly unique.
Mole sauce is made with a combination of chiles, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, spices, and even chocolate, and has a deep, earth-y, smoky flavor with hints of spice, chiles, and aromatics.
Everything! Enjoy it with vegetables, meat, seafood, eggs, etc. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, mole sauce is super versatile and can be enjoyed with any Mexican-inspired dish.
Our chicken mole enchiladas recipe makes one epic meal! Prepare it for a special occasion family dinner or tuck into this dish any night of the week. It’s a delicious and easy way to enjoy authentic mole sauce. These enchiladas might just become your new favorite!
Some of the following are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase something, we may receive a small commission. You don’t pay any extra, but it will help us keep the lights on.
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love:
Chicken, cheese, green chiles and chipotle! These white chicken enchiladas make a memorable meal that the entire family will enjoy!
All the Mexican flavors we love are brimming in this easy Instant Pot Taco Soup. It’s hearty, delicious and one bowl won’t be enough.
This Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is a unique, Tex-Mex fare and a cross between chicken nachos, enchiladas, and Mexican lasagna. More importantly, it includes bold flavors, lots of melt-y cheese, and is everything we expect of a comfort food casserole.
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3 cups mole sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1-1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 8 tortillas, flour, or corn
- 10 tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread 1 cup of the mole sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 to 40 seconds..
- Remove from the heat and add the black beans, cumin, oregano, and salt. Toss to combine then stir in the cooked chicken.
- In a medium-size bowl combine the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese. Reserve one cup of shredded cheese and mix the remainder of the cheese into the chicken mixture. Toss to combine well.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of mole sauce on one side of each tortilla. Place 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place in the casserole dish, seam side down. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour the remainder of the mole sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 679Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1130mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 29g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.