Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas! Spiced up with chilies and chipotle and smothered in a white sauce of sour cream and yogurt and topped with cheese.
This recipe for chipotle chicken enchiladas is a blast from the past with some new-fangled upgrades.
My friend and co-worker, Maria, gave me her recipe for chicken enchiladas way back in 1978 when we both worked as aids for the U.S. government school (DODDS) in Subic Bay, Philippines.
Whenever there was a pot-luck at the school, the dish Maria brought was always the first one to be empty.
This chipotle chicken enchilada recipe uses fresh roasted poblano chilies but the canned variety works fine.
There is a great tutorial from Julie of ‘This Gal Cooks’ on how to roast your own poblano chilies .
Maria’s chipotle chicken enchiladas recipe used the canned green chilies and a can of cream of chicken soup for the creamy sauce. That is how I always prepared it. Until recently 🙂
How is this Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas Casserole Made?
How Many Will This Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas Casserole Serve?
You Might Also Like:
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
If you make one of our recipes, snap a photo and tag it @savorthebest on Instagram and hashtag it #savorthebest
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 Poblano chilies, roasted, skinned and chopped or 2-3 cans (7 ounce) of whole green chilies
- 3 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (depending on your taste preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 8 medium soft flour tortillas
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat an oven-proof 9x13 casserole dish with oil or non-stick spray
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and red bell pepper and cook until the onion is translucent. Remove from the heat and add the green chilies, chicken, cumin, oregano, chipotle and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl combine the three types of grated cheese; reserve one cup and mix the remainder into the chicken mixture. Toss to combine well.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, yogurt, chicken broth and the additional chipotle powder, stirring to mix well.
- Place 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla and tucking in the sides, roll up and place in the casserole dish. When all the tortillas have been rolled, spoon the sour cream/yogurt mixture over the top, place the casserole dish on the middle rack of the oven and bake the for 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly on top. Transfer from the oven, add the garnish and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.