Well, my microwave is broken and I have to wait 4 days until the new one is delivered. I never realized how much I used the microwave until it was taken away from me. I’m getting by just fine without one but it sure is inconvenient. Happily, this dish does not require a microwave. It’s fairly quick, very easy and quite delicious. The size of your ramekin will have an effect on the baking time so watch the eggs closely if you are not using a 6-7 ounce ramekin.
- 3 slices whole grain bread
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 large tomatoes (about 1 pound) diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. Coat six 7-ounce ramekins with olive oil.
- Toast the bread slices and butter them. Slice the bread into ¼ to ½ inch cubes, set aside.
- Place a tablespoon of water or olive oil in a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Add the onion slices and cook until softened and slightly brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes and fresh thyme. Cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the tomato mixture evenly among the ramekins then top with the toasted bread cubes.
- Crack an egg into each ramekin and top each one with 1-tablespoon water.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 14-18 minutes until the egg whites are set. If you prefer your yolks fully cooked, bake for an additional 3-5 minutes. The eggs will continue to cook slightly after they are removed from the oven so watch them closely.
Amount Per ServingCalories 130 Total Fat 6g Carbohydrates 11g Protein 8g