This is a wonderful seafood stew that is a version of the French style bouillabaisse and the Italian version of cioppino. It is a delightful mix of ingredients and is full of flavorful vegetables, herbs and delicious seafood. This is a recipe that I reserve for a special occasion and I prefer to make the broth a day or so before the planned dinner and reserve it in the refrigerator as the flavors all meld together and enhance the broth. It is also very convenient to have the main part of the recipe prepared ahead of time, freeing me up to visit with guests. Then just heat up the broth and add the seafood at the last few minutes before serving.
I make a garlic-butter bread that my family loves and I just cannot imagine serving this stew with any other kind of bread. What really completes this dish as a meal is a Ceasar salad which is another favorite of my family and a blog for another day. I hope you will try this seafood stew as it is absolutely delicious!
This recipe for seafood stew is a delightful combination of fresh vegetables, shrimp, crab, scallops, salmon and halibut.
For the broth:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds
- 1/4 chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cups white wine
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound shrimp, medium or large peeled and deveined
- 4 cooked crab legs
- 1/3 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 pound skinless halibut fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 pound scallops
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, fennel and fennel fronds. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley, garlic, lemon zest, bay leaf, thyme and saffron. Add the wine and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Add the clams and mussels and cook over medium heat until they are all open, about 3 minutes. Stir in the shrimp, crab legs, salmon, halibut and scallops and cook another 3-5 minutes until the fish is cooked. (Discard any clams and mussels that did not open.) Remove from heat and serve with hot garlic bread and a salad.
Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10.1 g
Saturated Fat 1.45 g
Cholesterol 115 mg
Sodium 1033 mg
Total Carbohydrates 14 g
Dietary Fiber 2.65 g
Sugars 3.77 g
Protein 40.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.