I love the tangy taste of lemons in just about anything and lemons pair so well with fresh rosemary. Our moist Meyer Lemon-Rosemary Loaf Cake is a delicious example of how well they compliment each other. The flecks of Meyer lemon zest and rosemary bits are visible in every slice.
Although this recipe works great with regular lemons there is just something special about that sweet-tartness of Meyer lemons. We are taking full advantage of these lemons as they are seasonal and only available for a short time.
Meyer lemons are native to China and they are a cross between a regular lemon and a mandarine orange. They have been introduced to the United States by Frank Meyer in the early 1900’s.
The Meyer lemon is slightly smaller and rounder in size than the regular lemon and it has a thinner skin as well. The color of the Meyer is more orangey-yellow, the skin is thiner, they are more fragrant and the juice is less tangy than the regular lemon.
We can’t rave enough about the compatibility of lemon and rosemary, we used the zest from five of these lemons and we have added a healthy measure of chopped fresh rosemary.
Both the orangey-lemon zest and the specks of rosemary give this moist cake an intense flavor and their specks are visible throughout the cake.
This loaf cake is so light and moist that it doesn’t need a thick frosting. We used a tangy glaze made of lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar to drizzle over the top of the cake. Another option would be to sift confectioners’ sugar lightly over the top.
We used all-purpose einkorn flour in this recipe and really like the results. Although einkorn has gluten in it, the protein structure of the gluten is different and many people that find regular wheat difficult to digest have found that they can eat einkorn without any problems.
This recipe will make two loaves of lemon-rosemary deliciousness, one to enjoy now and another loaf to freeze. So treat yourself to a nice thick slice of this cake along with a cup of coffee and enjoy! 🙂
Connect With Savor the Best:
Please follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup lemon zest - about 5 lemons
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose einkorn flour (or traditional flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4-5 tablespoons freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans.
- Add the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. A stand mixer with the paddle attachment is preferred but a hand mixer will work. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and rosemary. Whisk together to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk the lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla together. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool 10 minutes on a wire rack, remove from the pans and allow to cool completely.
For the Glaze
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to run down the sides. Allow the glaze to set up before serving.
This recipe will make two loaves with each loaf serving 10 slices
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.