You will love these crunchy mascarpone and smoked salmon bruschetta appetizers that are made with creamy mascarpone cheese, capers and dill.
Recently, Don and I ate dinner at a restaurant and we shared an appetizer of mascarpone cheese with smoked salmon. It was delicious and it inspired me to re-create it in my kitchen. I served this as one of the appetizers for his birthday party last month and there was not a crumb left on the plate.
Also, my niece, Abby and her husband Ian, are visiting from Alaska and they joined us for dinner last night and I again served this bruschetta as the appetizer along with our wine. They loved it! We probably could have just eaten the appetizer as our main entree and skipped the pot roast.
Bruschetta is traditionally grilled or even fried and the bread is a bit chewy, but I like mine crisp and crunchy so I chose to pop the bread slices into the oven until golden brown and then rub the toasted bread slices with fresh garlic before adding the smoked salmon and mascarpone mixture.
The creamy mascarpone mixture takes just minutes to put together with a bit of whipping cream to give it fluff, chopped capers, onion, fresh dill and tangy lemon juice. The thin slices of smoked salmon add texture and flavor. This is one of those ‘elegant’ appetizers that you will be serving often.
You might also like:
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
If you make one of our recipes, snap a photo and tag it @savorthebest on Instagram and hashtag it #savorthebest
- One baguette, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3-4 fresh garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and chopped finely
- 2 scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped dill
- 12 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- dill sprigs or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Makes 30 bruschetta appetizers
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lay the baguette slices in one layer. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the slices with the olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake until they are golden toasted and crisp. Remove from oven and carefully rub the garlic clove lightly across each bread slice. Transfer bread slices to a wire rack and cool. You will need 30 slices for the bruschetta, reserve any remaining slices in an air tight container for another use.
- In a small bowl, add the mascarpone cheese and sour cream and blend until smooth, add the lemon juice, salt and the cream, whip just until soft peaks form.
- Remove bowl from the mixer and fold in the lemon zest, capers and scallions.
- To assemble the bruschetta:
- Using a small spatula or butter knife, smear a small amount of the cheese mixture on each of the bread slices to anchor the salmon. Place a slice of salmon, large enough to cover the bread, on the cheese smear and top the salmon with a small rounded teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Spoon the mixture over part of the salmon, spreading it out slightly and garnish with the dill or parsley. Enjoy!
The cheese mixture can be prepared the day before and refrigerated. Bring it to room temperature before assembling the appetizers.
Amount Per Serving Calories 103Total Fat 6.2gCholesterol 16.6mgCarbohydrates 8gProtein 4g