The combination of beef and pork adds an extra degree of tenderness and flavor to these awesome Asian teriyaki meatballs. These easy-to-make bite-sized babes are oven-baked then drenched in a special teriyaki sauce that puts a delicious glaze on them. Serve them as appetizers or eat them as a main course.
There is a ton of flavor in the meatballs as they are an equal blend of beef and pork for tenderness with breadcrumbs and egg yolks to bind them together.
We added a bit of tahini sauce, onions, garlic, fresh ginger and Chinese five-spice which all increases the flavor factor.
How we made them:
Portions of the meat mix are scooped up, rolled into balls then oven baked to a crispy brown. They are glazed in a savory teriyaki sauce of fresh grated ginger root, garlic, honey, soy, and hoisin sauce.
It is that hoisin sauce that really enhances the flavors of the glaze. When ready to serve, the meatballs are garnished with sesame seeds and snipped scallions.
These Asian Teriyaki Meatballs make a great do-ahead appetizer and they are perfect for a large gathering. Mix them up, roll tiny meatballs and freeze them on a baking sheet, then bag them in a vacuum seal or closable bag until ready to bake.
The teriyaki glaze is easy to make and can also be made hours ahead and refrigerated until ready to reheat and serve.
Asian recipes you might like;
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon tahini sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Sesame seeds and snipped chives or green onion tops for garnish
- Wooden picks for serving
For the teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 fresh garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Spray a wire rack with cooking spray set over a baking sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil. (For easy clean-up)
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, egg yolks, tahini, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, five-spice powder and white pepper. Stir together just until well combined; do not over-mix or the meatballs will become tough. Use a small 1 tablespoon size scoop to portion the meat and roll into approximately 60 meatballs.
- Place meatballs onto prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce.
To Make the Teriyaki Sauce:
- In a small dish, make a slurry of the cornstarch by whisking it with 1/4 cup water. Reserve.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add soy sauce, brown sugar, grated ginger root, grated garlic, hoisin sauce, honey and 1 cup water, bring to a simmer. Whisk in cornstarch mixture until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cooked meatballs, turning to coat each one.
- Transfer the meatballs to a serving plate, garnish with sesame seeds and snipped green scallions or chives. Add a pick to each meatball and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 2 meatballs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third-party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.