These Instant Pot Lebanese Braised Green Beans have all the flavor you’d get with the traditional slow braise, but without all the time it takes for a truly yummy dish. If you’ve never tried them before, Lebanese Braised Green Beans are green beans that slow cook in a rich tomato sauce and warm spices. Our Instant Pot version speeds up the process while resulting in the same deliciousness of a slow stew. Plus, if you’re feeding a crowd, you can have these going in the Instant Pot without taking up precious oven or stovetop space. Can you tell we love our Instant Pot? 😉
What are Lebanese Green Beans?
This Lebanese Green Beans recipe is a warm, perfectly-spiced dish with Lebanese roots. Lebanese stewed green beans is typically made with beef, but this vegetarian version has become popular as an easy side dish. It’s also gluten-free, vegan and keto-friendly!
What you need to make Instant Pot Lebanese Braised Green Beans
One of my favorite things about this dish is that it really doesn’t take much to have an incredibly flavorful, healthy and tasty dish. It’s basically a combination of green beans, tomato sauce and a bunch of spices and other aromatics. Here’s the full list of ingredients for this Instant Pot Lebanese Braised Green Beans:
- Olive oil. Use it to cook the beans in and then drizzle the top of the beans when you serve them.
- Garlic cloves.
- Spices: ground cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cayenne pepper.
- Salt and pepper.
- Tomato paste. This will give extra richness and depth to the tomatoes.
- Canned tomato sauce.
- Diced tomatoes.
- Fresh green beans.
How to make Instant Pot Lebanese Braised Green Beans
This recipe only requires less than 10 minutes of total cook time in the Instant Pot. After you gather all your ingredients, follow these simple steps:
- Sauté the onions, garlic, spices and tomato paste in the Instant Pot.
- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce and cook with the aromatics, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on low pressure for 5 minutes.
- Release the pressure on the Instant Pot and serve the Lebanese Braised Green Beans with a drizzle of olive oil.
A few pro tips to keep in mind
- Braised green beans are very tender and infused with flavor. This recipe won’t result in a slightly undercooked, bright, green bean dish. If you want more of an al dente-style green bean, cook on low pressure for 1 minute (instead of 5 minutes).
- Make sure you release the pressure after the cooking time ends or your green beans will get mushy.
- Use low pressure on the Instant Pot because high pressure will make the green beans fall apart.
That’s it! No need to simmer and slow cook on the stovetop for over an hour, and you can’t really beat that, right? Give me a 10-minute side dish any day of the week and I’m happy. Especially when it’s this good.
SOME OTHER RECIPES WE ARE SURE YOU WILL LOVE:
- We recreated our favorite Middle Eastern street food dish with this Beef Shawarma Sandwich recipe. Flavorful and tender seasoned meat with crunchy veggies and creamy tahini- it’s sure to make your day!
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is perfect for any busy weeknight! If you haven’t tried it, be prepared to fall in love with this recipe- it’s simple, quick and sure to become a family favorite!
- Did you know there’s six different ways to make hard-boiled eggs? We share our favorite tips and tricks to perfect hard boiled (like, easy-peel perfect) eggs! Which is your favorite method?
CONNECT WITH SAVOR THE BEST!
Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts
Did you make this recipe? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15- ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds green beans
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot cook the onions until translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic, spices and tomato paste. Stir the tomato paste well and coat the onions with it. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds to release the aromas of the spices.
- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce along with all the juices in the cans. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Place the lid on and set the Instant Pot on low pressure for 5 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure on the Instant Pot and serve with a drizzle of olive oil.
- This is not your typical al-dente (slightly undercooked) bright green bean dish. Braised green beans are exceptionally tender and infused with flavor. They should not be mushy like canned green beans so make sure you release the pressure after the cooking time is up or they will get mushy.
- Use low pressure for this recipe. High pressure will make the green beans fall apart.
- Setting the Instant Pot on low pressure for 5 minutes will give you very soft and tender green beans, similar to braised green beans. If you want them to be more al dente then set it for 1 minute.
High altitude cook time:
- For altitudes over 4000, increase cook time to 6 minutes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- MC CORMICK CORIANDER GROUND OG 1.25OZ
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Ground Cumin, 1.5 oz
- Hunt's Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added, Keto Friendly, 14.5 oz, 12 Pack
- Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce, No Sugar Added, 15 Ounce Can (Pack of 12)
- Amore All Natural Tomato Paste , 4.5 Ounce Tube
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Amount Per Serving Calories 175 Total Fat 11g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 135mg Carbohydrates 23g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 9g Sugar 11g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 5g